Broody problem? or not?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My chicks are 3 weeks old, plus a few days. Their broody mama has been excellent with them all along. Until now.

A few nights ago mama stopped going directly to the nest with the chicks when it was time for bed. Instead she would first jump up on the roost, clucking some. The chicks would start peeping, loudly, and mama would jump down and take them to the nest for the night.

Tonight same routine except mama stayed up on the roost longer, about 10 minutes, clucking the whole time. The longer she stayed up there the louder the chicks got, peeping for her. They were really getting frantic. Bless their little hearts, they eventually started trying to fly up to her, but always came up short.

Finally mama jumped down and took them to their nest. She immediately settled down with the chicks under her.

There's a lower roost, meant for the silkies, but none of the birds roost there.

So, is mama getting tired of motherhood? Or is she trying to teach the babies how to roost? What do you think?

I watched her patiently teach the chicks how to get in and out of the coop when they were about a week old and I wonder if the same sort of thing isn't going on now?

I don't know about yours but I have a little bantam cochin that raised a clutch last March and after 3 weeks she was done, I would have spanked her bottom if she'd been human. I finally ended up putting her and her chicks in a smaller coop by themselves just so mama would have no choice but be with them. No roost in that one.. after about a week I let them out she went on about her business and they made it fine. I am debating on if I will let her sit this year. She was young I don't know if that has something to do with it or not.

She is trying to teach them to roost. Try giving them an intermediate perch to get up there. She should still keep them warm up here since she only has three. They will all fit under her.

That's what I thought. I'm going to try and rig up a "boost" of some sort for them tomorrow, at least until we can get another roost set up.

She is trying to teach them to roost, but it is part of her returning to her normal routine. Some hens just stop "mothering" earlier than others. If you would like some more broodies, i can try to help out.
yippiechickie.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
???????

Last edited:
Quote:
I'd love some more, but still waiting to hear from not so DSD about when she can come stay with the critters so we can head to Florida. Doe (the mama) will allowed to go broody as often as she'd like, providing it doesn't harm her health. She's such a good mama.
love.gif

Well, TJ figured it out. She's using the top of the crate she was hatched in to make it up to the high roost. Now hopefully her brother and sister hatchmates will get the idea
fl.gif

Mine are 4 weeks and a few days. Last night at dusk I found mama on the roost and the chicks in their nest, hollering. I picked them all up and put them on the roost and they immediately hopped down; mama made no move to go to them, she had a good spot with the adults and wasn't moving. I tried to get them back up but they were having none of it. Now, I see them walk around on the roosts during the day; they have no trouble getting up there. I closed off their nest, they hollered louder, and mama finally jumped down and got them under her in another nest. She'd been wandering away from them during the day for several days, farther and farther. This morning my son decided to open their pen. I found mama with the flock out in the field, and the chicks in the coop. At least they weren't hollering, just doing chicken things. We shall see what tonight brings. I suspect they have been kicked out of the house, and the heck with teaching them to roost. She has no excuse, she always had access to the roost. (This is my 3 year old EE, first time broody.)

I've also got a 3 month old pullet who wants to roost on top of the chicken wire wall of the broody pen. I got her onto the regular roost the last two nights.

Chickens. Believe I'll give up on trying to read those pea brains....

I agree, she is trying to teach them to roost. However, just in case (this happened to me) I'm letting you know to check very carefully you still have all the chicks when they are roosting. My ex-broody, who was a very good mother, would teach her chicks to climb up stairs. One day, they actually learnt how to and about 7 got up. She then left the other 3 because she thought she had all of them. Sometimes you will have to help them out.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom