Broody pullet: day 2

Is the weather okay to hatch chicks in Autumn in Florida? And do you have a good coop with windows to let the sun in?
If not , I wouldn’t let my hen stay on the nest and break her broodiness.

But if you have a great setup and good weather in winter I suppose it’s okay. 🍀
They’ll be fine. I don’t know the winter temperatures in Florida, but It can’t be that cold. The chicks will be fully feathered by then and fully able to handle cooler temps.

Today's day 6 I think. Trixie was on break and just got back into the nesting box a few minutes ago. She now is sitting on 12 eggs.
Any eggs added to clutch after 24-36 hours after she started setting probably won’t hatch. From first pip to walking away with clutch of chicks is about that long. Did you mark the originals??? If not, mark them and remove any further eggs.

Any eggs added to clutch after 24-36 hours after she started setting probably won’t hatch. From first pip to walking away with clutch of chicks is about that long. Did you mark the originals??? If not, mark them and remove any further eggs.
I marked the originals with pencil but that rubbed off. I marked the 12 with sharpie today and after the chicks hatch I can put the eggs that haven't hatched in my incubator.

I marked the originals with pencil but that rubbed off. I marked the 12 with sharpie today
How many originals were there?

You will likely be raising them yourself as the hen probably won’t accept them.
Good point. Unless you can handle the broody and her chicks, start 'making friends' with her now, then you can pick up broody chicks put them back down and put down 2 in place of the one picked up until you've got all the bator chicks down with the broody chicks.

Back
Top Bottom