Broody Quail has hatched eggs

I have had a broody quail who has successfully hatched 10 out of 12 eggs. I've been searching for information on this throughout but couldn't find any information, only people asking the same questions so I thought I'd post my results to help others. I have 3 quail, 2 female and 1 male. All are 3-5 years old. Only one lays and they don't have fertile eggs however they had been hiding and collecting they're eggs in one space. Trying to make up a clutch. I started to collect all eggs and put them in their nesting box. Once they had 10, one started sitting. This happened last year, I let her sit although I knew they wouldn't hatch to see how long she would sit for. I took the eggs way and she started laying again. This year the same thing happened and I ordered fertile eggs and replaced her infertile clutch with the new eggs. She sat. Her friend would sometimes sit for her to have a break and the male has been a good Watchman for them. Last night, she has hatched 10 chicks. All very healthy, no problems and is being a great mother (one of my worries). The other 2 quail are very protective of them all and haven't attacked them (another one of my worries). If you have a broody quail, give them the chance. I've had a really positive experience with it. I hope this is helpful. I've attached photos.
That's amazing. Does she have a fully solid floored cage or is there some wire flooring? Thx.

mine just went broody to, this give me so much hope she'll raise them good XD
20220502_112231.jpg

How long has she been broody? That's amazing. If possible please give future updates.
maybe 2-4 days i think i just noticed her today and iv been busy so probably not to much longer. shes hatched before but it was late fall and they froze over night after hatching :/ gonna make sure these guys make it

maybe 2-4 days i think i just noticed her today and iv been busy so probably not to much longer. shes hatched before but it was late fall and they froze over night after hatching :/ gonna make sure these guys make it
She's brooded her own eggs before AND hatched them?! How do you cage her may I ask? Do you use wire or solid flooring? What feed does she eat? Do you supplement her with veggies or something? Thx,

She's brooded her own eggs before AND hatched them?! How do you cage her may I ask? Do you use wire or solid flooring? What feed does she eat? Do you supplement her with veggies or something? Thx,
Shes on sawdust with dirt under, she eats game bird feed by purina. I give them sweet hay to burrow in to(not straw, it wont hold the tunnels). They love it. Throw a massive armful in there and they start tunneling like ferrets. And making little bower nests. Lots of things to break line of sight as well, that and not overcrowding makes a major difference in stress. They get grass clippings and cucumber as treats as well.

Shes on sawdust with dirt under, she eats game bird feed by purina. I give them sweet hay to burrow in to(not straw, it wont hold the tunnels). They love it. Throw a massive armful in there and they start tunneling like ferrets. And making little bower nests. Lots of things to break line of sight as well, that and not overcrowding makes a major difference in stress. They get grass clippings and cucumber as treats as well.
Purina 30% Gamebird stater feed? Is sweet hay alfalfa? Or can I just use horse hay? Thx,

Back
Top Bottom