Broody quail & predator questions

Update! First the good news. We had 8 out of 9 eggs hatch. I'm still giving that last one another day or two just to be sure. Now the not so good news. I made a very stupid mistake and moved her and the eggs before they hatched. We were supposed to be getting some severe weather yesterday and today and I wanted her inside before it hit. After I brought her in, she had zero interest in sitting on them and they started getting cold. Fortunately, I still had my homemade incubator from last year. So, I moved the eggs in there and all but 1 have hatched. I'm still mad at myself for moving her, but at least they hatched. They all seem to be healthy. There's 1 that did seem to have a mild case of splay leg, but it seems to be doing much better now. Next time, I will definitely leave her alone and let her do her thing.
DSC_0131.JPG

I have a quick question! One of my chicks looks like its crop is filled with air. I picked it up and felt it and it's soft and squishy but definitely seems bigger than it should be. It's still wanting to eat and drink and acts normal. I've never dealt with this before. Any suggestions? I'll try to get a picture but they're so fast it's hard to get a good shot.

No, that is not normal. It might be a ruptured air sac? I've included a link to a thread that might help. I've never experienced this personally.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/air-sac-rupture-treatment.1378809/
Thank you. I did some research last night on sour crop and blockages. I'm still grinding up their food, but last time I didn't grind it up as fine so I thought maybe it was a blockage? Anyway, I took their food away last night and just gave them water with ACV in it and they were both back to normal this morning. I gave them a little bit of food and I'm going to keep a close eye on them today. Hopefully they won't have any more issues. Scared me to death when I saw them last night, though. That one was so swollen it looked like he would burst.

Back
Top Bottom