Broody raising chick

Boolie123

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Hi,

I'm looking for a bit of advise, please. I purchased two beautiful Orpingtons at a show a few weeks ago. They were in a pen with a cockerel and on the way home one of the girls laid an egg. As we had a broody Silkie we decided to put the egg under her to just see what happened, but not really expecting anything, but today I have gone out to check on her and there is the most beautiful tiny yellow chick.

We have reared day old chicks before in the house with a heat lamp but would like to do it the natural way, I have put some chick crump in with them and they are separate from the rest of the flock, but do I need to do anything else? Also should they have access to the outside or should I wait a few days?

The two Orpingtons I bought are a Lavender splash and a Buff, but the dad was also a Lavender splash. Quite shocked but really chuffed!

My broody didn't leave the nest till the babies were about 2 days old, so make sure water and food are within reach. She will teach them to eat and drink, but watch to make sure it happens. watch too to make sure the babies don't get pasty butt, because mama might not check if it's her first time. Congratulations. (I know, we were the same way - we didn't really think it would happen)

Thanks for the reply, I have them in a small rabbit hutch at the moment and have food and water close by. I remember with the day old chicks, we had to keep the bums clean, not the nicest job but essential. Really impressed with my little Silkie so far, it will be quite interesting when the chick grows in to a huge Orpington with a tiny Silkie Mum!

Hope all goes well but feel like an anxious new mum!

Chicks raised by a broody don't have pasty butt issues like brooder raised chicks. They don't have the stress and dehydration that shipped chicks have, and their surroundings are natural, unlike brooder raised chicks with heat lamps and such. Plus, they start right out eating dirt and grit from the soil, which is good for digestion. Your broody knows instinctively what to do for her chick and she will do fine with this one. As hard as we try, human chicken mamas don't hold a candle to a real chicken mama.

Quote:
I totally agree! I would still keep an eye out to make sure all is going well! Congratulations, by the way!
smile.png

I have been trying to upload a photo, but doesn't seem to want to do it.

I have recently set up a blog, and have some pictures on there, the address is below if you want to have a look. It only has a couple of posts as only started it last week.

http://chickensarethenewdogs.blogspot.com/

Thank you all for the advise, mother and baby doing well, we have called it Angel as the name okay for a boy or a girl.

Back
Top Bottom