Broody Red Frizzle... would this be a bad idea???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brandislee, Sep 8, 2011.

1. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    My chickens just started laying a few weeks ago, and my little red frizzle bantam has shown a tiny tendancy to be broody. She's not all gang busters about it- she pecks at me when I pull the egg out from under her, and she keeps setting, but when I move her she doesn't go back to the "nest." Today was the second time she's done it (and she's probably only laid 4-5 eggs total...). So I checked the egg under her when I got in the house and it was fertile. I would like to let her hatch an egg or three, but I'm apprehensive about it for a few reasons:

1) is she brood enough? She's obviously not REAL animate about it, since I've been able to get her off the nest both times.

2) is it possible for the chicks to even live? She's a tiny red frizzle bantam bred by either a HUGE buff orph or a nearly as HUGE wyandotte. I remember reading that bantam mommy + standard dad = not enough room in the shell for baby to grow. Is that true?

3) It's fall. I would leave the chicks with their mama to brood (no way I'm gonna do the work when she can!). They would be in the nice cozy coop, separated from the rest of the flock, but it gets wicked cold here.

Thoughts?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    1. I wouldn't give her any eggs until she's been on the nest 2 consecutive nights.
    2. I don't have bantams, but I've never heard of that being an issue. I've hatched pullet eggs just fine.
    3. The broody will keep them warm until they are feathered and they should feather out before the hard winter comes.

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Thanks! I'll have to look up the bantam mom/standard dad thing again just to be sure, but next time I won't try to break her, and if she's on for two nights I'll hatch some chicks! That will be so exciting, the kids will love it! I'm going to put her in the dog crate if she does get broody so she doesn't get bothered by the other chicks... and was thinking about bringing her in the house. We'll see:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by