Broody Rejecting Chick

IZZYBELLA

Songster
7 Years
Jan 11, 2013
Maine
I just went to check on my first time broody who hatched one chick yesterday and had 5 more eggs under her. I found one dead newborn on the ground and the broody wasn't letting the live chick back under her. She was pecking at her whenever the chick got close. I don't want to lose the live chick, so have her inside in a brooder set up. Any advice on getting the broody to re-accept the chick? I don't want to have a solo chick... it's quite upset by itself!

Some breeds are just better mothers than others. It is quite common in some breeds for a hen to reject or not care for the offspring. In the event of such a case we usually take the chicks and brood them ourselves...

Were all the eggs set under the broody at the Same time?? None added by you or chickens some time later?

She might not accept the chick back, your best chance would be to put the chick under her after dark---if everything is good in a little that I would be back watching a few feet away the next morning at day breaking-----be ready to jump in and grab the chick if needed.

Yeah, the biological equipment does not a "mother" make. I have several hens that go broody but wouldn't be good mothers. Maybe just use her as the incubator and brood separately.

They were all put under her at the same time. I wasn't expecting them to hatch until today, so was surprised to see this one out yesterday. I will keep the chick inside for now and try again at night. Really hoping some other eggs hatch, or that I can find some days olds to put with this one!

Back
Top Bottom