Can I lift my hen to check for chicks and eggs still hatching

Ceecee23

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2024
This is my first time letting a broody hatch her own clutch. I heard baby chirping since yesterday , I haven't seen chicks yet, can i lift her to check... I am a nervous wreck I want to minimize chick deaths, I know mother nature will do its thing regardless though.

Once you see unhatched eggs your anxiety will likely increase. 🙃

Whether you should depends on the hen. Is she the kind that would panic and trample the unhatched eggs?

Once you see unhatched eggs your anxiety will likely increase. 🙃

Whether you should depends on the hen. Is she the kind that would panic and trample the unhatched eggs?
She usually was fine letting me lift her during the process when i needed to remove eggs she would yell at me but never really stood up or tried to run away or attack or get too twitterpatted

She usually was fine letting me lift her during the process when i needed to remove eggs she would yell at me but never really stood up or tried to run away or attack or get too twitterpatted
Two babies, one egg seemingly disappeared, but I assume it either fell or was kicked out there is a good lip an barrier so shouldn't have fallen on its own. Waiting for one more egg but think it may be a no go.

Attachments

• 20240408_171643.jpg
    20240408_171643.jpg
    563.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240408_175501.jpg
    20240408_175501.jpg
    616.8 KB · Views: 5
leave the broody to decide when to abandon the unhatched egg; she will prioritize the hatched chicks and bring them off when they need food or water. The yolk they absorbed just before hatching should be all they need for a couple of days; it exists to get them through this period. The 'missing' egg may be under her wing, in the nest, or even eaten; broodies tidy up the nest to avoid attracting predators by smell.

Back
Top Bottom