Hatched chick problem

Breezed

Songster
7 Years
Dec 28, 2016
Naples, FL
I’ve hatched plenty of chicks but have never seen this. It hatched on its own day on Day 22/23. It’s belly is swollen and has this protrusion. I figured I’d need to help it pass but it is really active, flapping its wings, chirping when it sees me, and walking like a new baby. I have searched online but uncertain to what this is and what I should do. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• EA3F815B-D40B-4384-BADA-A6CC4FE79AEE.jpeg
    EA3F815B-D40B-4384-BADA-A6CC4FE79AEE.jpeg
    380.4 KB · Views: 29
It didn't absorb the sac. I would end it's suffering by cutting its head off.
Others MAY just leave it be and see if it does absorb it on it's own.

If you want to try to wait it out put it by itself on a paper towel/flat smooth surface so it can't catch and break the sac open on anything.

It didn't absorb the sac. I would end it's suffering by cutting its head off.
Others MAY just leave it be and see if it does absorb it on it's own.
Thank you for the response. I definitely don’t want it to suffer. All but the red protrusion dried up and broke away so I left it drying in a clean incubator and will see how it looks today after work and make a decision.

Hello, any update on your chick with protruding sack ?
What did you end up doing and did it help?
Sorry I thought I put an update. I didn't do anything, it died the next morning. I usually lean on letting nature takes it course, within reason to not prolong unnecessary suffering. I was going to put it down when I got home from work but my hubs had let me know after I left for work that it had died. Thank you for checking up.

Back
Top Bottom