BROODY ROOSTER

barnwife

Songster
10 Years
Feb 21, 2009
central Texas
For all those who have asked me to post pics, and for all those curious about this, here ya go.

23391_patch_pup_031.jpg

This is my bantam black cochin rooster, Fluffy.

23391_patch_pup_037.jpg

This is the setup I have for my newest chicks. It's a giant plastic tote. With an itty bitty heat lamp. 4" deep shavings, food, water, & grogel on a plank above shavings level.

23391_patch_pup_033.jpg

fluffy, from the left side, a couple of chicks exploring. How many chicks do you think there are?

23391_patch_pup_037.jpg

This is the view from above.

23391_patch_pup_034.jpg

right side of fluffy, you can see SOME of the chicks.

23391_patch_pup_022.jpg

This is about half. There are 37 standard-sized chicks and 6 ducklings in here.

23391_patch_pup_027.jpg

If you look closely, you can see some tiny little stilts in the feathers.

23391_patch_pup_036.jpg

23391_patch_pup_044.jpg

What a roo!

Thanks!

HE is a superstar lol. I had bought him originally as a her, and then was going to pop him in the stewpot. Then I saw him strutting through the entire yard the day I let my first batchof chicks out...and they were ALL under him!!! He was their mommy!

Out of 30 somthing layers, and 2o something feather-footed banties, I have not a single one who outdoes him in care for chicks.

May he breed this trait to all his offspring!

Did I mention he also beats out my buff mutt giant-sized, rir, gold sex link, br, and ameraucana roos for the girls?

They all weigh more than double his weight!

I will post more as the chicks get bigger and his fluff becomes less needed for them....especially the ducks.

That's so cool! I had a male ringneck pheasant sit on eggs before..which isn't really all that common. It is more likely for the ornamental pheasants to do that. He definitely looks like a keeper!!
smile.png

Do you think it was the name my dd gave him when we thought he was a she at the feed store?

Fluffy.

Not very masculine. But, he is rescued from the menu! I'm sticking my buff something-or-other in the stewpot this weekend! He likes to crow a little early for me...330 am till 330 am. without fail. My neighbor might even like that dinner more than me, though! lol

Fluffy!!!
gig.gif
lau.gif
must have been a good curse!
Well, that buff something or other just didn't have what us girls want, I guess!! I have a good recipe for noodles if ya need one!
droolin.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom