Broody Silkie Girl Going Strong For Over 3 Weeks And We Are Starting To Worry...

Thanks for all the support, everyone. Unfortunately, we lost sweet Frankie girl around 4 this afternoon. I was with her. I just got home from dropping her off at the vet to have a necropsy done. Pretty heartbroken.

Very sorry to hear of this. Please let us know what the Dr. discovers. We can all learn from this.

we just got off the phone with the vet. she couldn't find any smoking gun. Frankie's reproductive tract was inactive, but healthy. the vet asked if the other birds had any diarrhea, which they dont - they seem very happy and healthy - and that steered her away from her thought of bacteria, though she said to keep an eye on the girls because there is the chance, however small, that it could be. she really couldn't find anything wrong. she said it could've been brought on by a really deep case of broodiness, but she didn't really think that was it, and she said it could have been stress. she also said it could have been neurological - which would at least partially explain why Frankie would eat if coaxed, but wouldn't seek it out. Frankie had stopped opening her eyes, even when eating, which would lend itself to a neurological issue as well. regardless, the vet doesn't seem to think there was anything else we could've done for her. she offered to have tissue samples sent out, but each sample is $100, and we just don't have that money to spend, especially knowing that they still might find nothing. i'm brokenhearted. really, really brokenhearted. i just can't help but feel like i failed her.

You didn't fail her, you did everything you could....more than alot of folks would have.
Some birds just don't make it and we often never know why.
It's part of having livestock and pets.

Chickens die. sometimes just old age. sometimes just they will die no matter what you do. you did everything you could. some people wouldn't even think of taking them to the vet.
Remember hens live for a few years anyway
Just forget. and even better get another hen as a replacement.

You did impeccable, even though she died. You trusted your gut and took her to a vet even though several of us (myself included) thought it was just broodiness. Some chickens die for reasons beyond our understanding. Their spirit might shine even brighter when near death, but their body is weak, perhaps due to less than stellar genetics or some other microscopic reason.

I agree with the others. You did everything you could, and she passed knowing that you cared about her until the end. That is commendable.

It's always hard to lose a beloved family pet. I know that when I lost my girl a few months ago, as well as her 8 week old chick, I completely lost it. Honestly, I've never cried so hard in my life. It was just a string of bad events that culminated in the worst possible way.

What I can tell you is that time does indeed heal all wounds, and you will gradually be left with more of the good memories and less of the bad.

My thoughts and sympathies are with you. Sending you peace and calming thoughts.
hugs.gif

- Krista

Back
Top Bottom