Broody Silkie - gonna give it a shot!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by equus2, Mar 11, 2009.

1. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thing is, she keeps moving smack dab to the middle of the coop (it's a large old horse loafing shed, so pretty spacious) and will not stay in the corner, in her nest box I provided.[​IMG]

I have some pricey eggs coming, and some of my own Javas that I really don't want to experiment with, but she is DEFINITELY broody.

Advice? I have a small dog crate that I could retrofit, but will moving her into it, and into my garage, cause her to go un-broody?[​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    If she's really serious about brooding nothing will stop her.

I've moved my hen 6 times now. She started out in the coop on golf balls in a nest. Moved her to a covered cat litter box on golf balls. Moved her in the cat box to another pen in my garage. Moved her to a box in my basement. Moved her to a shoe box in a dog crate in my living room. Gave her nice silkie eggs (from you!!). Moved the shoe box out and gave her a retro fitted cat bed for a nest.

Waaaaaay too many times! But she happily goes back to the eggs each time.

I always move her in the middle of the night. [​IMG] I don't know if this is the secret, but she is a very good broody.

I would try moving her before the eggs arrive and get her settled into her new nest.

[​IMG] Good luck with your broody!

3. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    How's the broody and eggs? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by