Broody Silkie hen laying on eight eggs HELP???

jess5254

Songster
9 Years
Jul 7, 2010
Maine
I have a broody silkie hen laying on eight eggs that I have placed under her. I have never hatched out mu own eggs before either with an incubator or broody hen. I live in Maine and the hatch date is between christmas and the 28th. She is still with the flock, I am afraid to move her afraid she will leave them, But I read a forum about removing the hen and eggs into her own house. Could some one please give me some advice? There is soooo much on the internet I would like to hear from actual people who have dealt with this situation. I am also wondering about taking them awway from her when they have hatched where it is winter time and put them in a brooder to keep warm. Can she keep them warm if I leave them with her. Please fill in on what to do? Thank YOu

I just move my broody silkie hen and 3 eggs into a cardboard box full of hay inside a cage with food and water on Friday 12/9. She hasn't moved off them, except around 10pm and 4am to eat/drink. (I hear her cause she is in my bedroom.
roll.png
) I made sure she was "committed" for a few days before i moved her.

I love your Popples I remember them from a child. It brings back good memories. I would like to bring my hen inside but my husband would have a fit. I have convinced him to give up a corner in the garage for her though. She has been sitting since december second but put the last egg under her on december 8. When could I candle them? Thanks

Yea I would seperate her, card board box, dog cage that's big enough, she shouldn't stop laying. I'm just going by what I have read on here, I have never had one of mine go broody yet, wish one would. Not sure about seperating the chicks, I incubate my eggs, so the chicks stay inside in a warm brooder until they are big enough to move to my outside brooder. Sorry I'm not much help, lol Hopefully someone with more experience will come along soon!

I can tell you I try and wait until day 7 to candle, but I know several people who do it sooner than that because they just can't wait, lol. I try not to touch them as much as possible so I only candle on day 7 and 14 and when they go in lock down.

Quote:
Hey, thanks! I am just gonna let mine do her thing. I more or less moved her because the other hens were getting annoyed at her in the nest box and my buff brahma bantam would squeeze in next to her to lay. AND she was taking everyone's eggs. Plus I was worried about her eating enough (with the cold weather). When I moved her I let her keep the 3 she had stolen that day.
smile.png
Happy Hatching!

Thanks I think I will move her into a separate cage. I have another silkie in aseparate cage because of an abcess that broke open and the other hens pecked until there was a hole in her side. Been putting blukote and giving electrolytes, vitamin and supplements. I will do the same for my broody hen due to not eating or drinking much and cold weather being here. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom