Broody Silkie, How many LF can I fit???

Egg_newton

Songster
10 Years
Jun 19, 2009
East Central Indiana
I think my silkie has gone broody. Every time I went to check for eggs she was in the nesting box and when I went to check under her for eggs she pecked the snot out of me twice. This couldn't have come at a better time. I have way too many eggs to fit my bator and this is just the perfect solution. How many LF eggs can a silkie set?

Last edited:
I usually put about 8 under them. They have hatched out up to 5 of those, but the duds were more egg problems than broody problems. Congrats!
smile.png

Mine could fit about 8 as well. Though, you have to have a good nest to hold the eggs in place. My silkie originally had made her own nest in her pen out of sawdust, but kept kicking out the eggs. So I made her a 1 by 1 foot box with a bowl of straw in the center, and she could then hold a lot more more eggs.

Best of luck!

I took her 6 LF eggs this morning and let her keep her egg she was sitting on. Man she is vicious!!! I think if I hadn't had on a pair of leather work gloves I'd be missing a digit or two. I went back to check on her before sunset and I couldn't see any of the ones I put in there next to her so I guess she managed to squeeze them all in.

Back
Top Bottom