The best broody breed

Pics

Party_Chicken

Crowing
Feb 1, 2023
Anywhere with chickens
My Coop
My Coop
I have always wanted to hatch my chicks out under a broody hen. I had a mixed hen that went broody twice then was taken by a fox. We couldn’t let her hatch out chicks for numerous reasons. I have two buff Orpingtons and none have gone broody. I got a wyandotte chick and she is 8 weeks so she might be able to get it done. I need a LF breed that dose well in cold and heat as for egg color I would prefer a dark speakled or blue/green color for egg color but peach or white would be fine. I have been looking at standard Cochins but what are your thoughts?

Phoenix. Super flighty and not a cuddly breed by far, but that also means if they can get away from a predator, they likely will. Mine bred like rats last year when I left then
Will their brood be as flighty as them? I am planning to hatch olive eggers with them and I can stand one or two flighty birds but not my whole flock.

Will their brood be as flighty as them? I am planning to hatch olive eggers with them and I can stand one or two flighty birds but not my whole flock.
Likely. They learn from their mother as much as they learn from their genetics. But they're the breed I've had with the lowest loss percentages when left to their own devices

Likely. They learn from their mother as much as they learn from their genetics. But they're the breed I've had with the lowest loss percentages when left to their own devices
The survival rate would be nice we have some predator problems. But the flightiness might be a deal breaker for me I like a clam friendly flock.

Phoenix. Super flighty and not a cuddly breed by far, but that also means if they can get away from a predator, they likely will. Mine bred like rats last year when I left then alone
I second this. My Phoenix are the same. Good moms too. Mine are not as flighty as you would think. I can touch and pet while not holding them. But I spend alot of time with them.

If you have predator problems, you can let a hen brood in a closed-off part of the coop.
Or you can use an old shed.
A broody doesn't need anything except for a nest, food and water, and a place to stretch and walk around in for 10-20 mins a day.
When chicks hatch, though, you'll have to consider building a separate pen.

I have always wanted to hatch my chicks out under a broody hen. I had a mixed hen that went broody twice then was taken by a fox. We couldn’t let her hatch out chicks for numerous reasons. I have two buff Orpingtons and none have gone broody. I got a wyandotte chick and she is 8 weeks so she might be able to get it done. I need a LF breed that dose well in cold and heat as for egg color I would prefer a dark speakled or blue/green color for egg color but peach or white would be fine. I have been looking at standard Cochins but what are your thoughts?
What do you mean by LF breed?
Sorry, I've never heard that term before :)

Back
Top Bottom