The best broody breed

Pics
I have always wanted to hatch my chicks out under a broody hen. I had a mixed hen that went broody twice then was taken by a fox. We couldn’t let her hatch out chicks for numerous reasons. I have two buff Orpingtons and none have gone broody. I got a wyandotte chick and she is 8 weeks so she might be able to get it done. I need a LF breed that dose well in cold and heat as for egg color I would prefer a dark speakled or blue/green color for egg color but peach or white would be fine. I have been looking at standard Cochins but what are your thoughts?
My standard Nns do pretty well (of corse the grandmother is a silkie who loves being broody) I dont recomend crested birds, they can set good but arnt good at taking care of and protecting the chicks.

Unless something has changed I'm not aware of, Silkies don't have a LF counterpart. They are true bantams. Over the years, judges have ignored the standards and started giving ribbons to larger and larger birds but the last I heard, silkies are still bantams - only.
For reliable broodies, bantam Cochins are a good choice too.
Well maybe that's true but I've seen pictures of very large, similar in size to regular LF silkies. Are the chicks the same size as LF chicks? I have a silkie that was included in a chick asst. Here that is the exact same size as all the other known LF chicks(australrop, jersey giant, white rock, faverolles, etc) I ordered, would it just be a very large silkie bantam?

Again, to the best of my knowledge, there is no such thing as LF silkies. They are pretty unique in many respects but in most environs, they are considered a true bantam.
Silkies shouldn't be anywhere close in size to any of the breeds you mentioned. The largest males shouldn't be over 3 pounds. Like I said, sometimes judges tend to bend the standards.
Maybe it isn't despicable behavior but there are standards for a reason.

Sorry to hear about that, Party! What happened?

Welcome back, by the way :hugs
It was a mixture of predatory issues run maintenance and some illnesses. When it really went downhill was when a hawk got my rooster and he was protecting them a lot. I had had the flu and forgot to put them away and a fox got the rest of them.

Back
Top Bottom