broody silkie??...is this what im dealing with?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by onecent, Oct 18, 2008.

1. onecent

onecent Chillin' With My Peeps

for the last 3 days, i go out to get the eggs, she's always on the nest, she wont get off the eggs!! she's not walking around the run, shes not coming to eat... etc, so what do i do? do i take the eggs from her, or let her hatch them out?i dont mind some chickies around, but its getting cold now, will hurt them to hatch out in the winter? ........ummmm help [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2008
  2. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    Mine is broody too...My very first broody hen. Laid her last egg on Sunday afternoon, I took it Monday morning thinking she was just practicing the day before because she went out when I opened the hatch Monday. Well she has laid on her empty nest all week so I gave her egg back to her yesterday.

3. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I say let her hatch them if you are willing to have the babies or find them homes. Sure its getting close to winter but it takes about a month for them to hatch, so that will only be the end of November. I think they'll be fine with her for warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by