Broody Silkie

chickendude1

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 25, 2010
Morganton North Carolina
Hi i have this silkie that sat on just two eggs. One eggs started to hatch and belive she killed it , there were shells everywhere when i went to look at her. She is under a year so she is in exsperinced. Her silkie sister that also sat hatched out all her eggs and is taking real good care of them . Will the hen that killed her chick be able to sit again without killing her chicks or will she do it again. Please let me know cause i dont this to happen again Thanks .

i'm sorry mate, i don't know. I don't imagine she would, i've heard of dogs burrying puppes and then going on the raise multiple litters afterwards.
I have a very young silkie who i got to sit on some eggs too, they're so little and inexperience, i don't think she would have meant to kill her baby, it's just not a natural insitinct.
good luck with the rest of your babies!

my BO girl went broody for her 1st time and is stilling hatching (got 5, waiting on 3 more HOPEFULLY) but she ate one at about 16-17 days?
hmm.png
I think she squashed it accidently and it died so she disposed of it so it wouldnt get bacteria to the others
sad.png
Maybe she did something similar?

Back
Top Bottom