1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Silkie

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickendude1, Jan 26, 2011.

1. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    Hi i have this silkie that sat on just two eggs. One eggs started to hatch and belive she killed it , there were shells everywhere when i went to look at her. She is under a year so she is in exsperinced. Her silkie sister that also sat hatched out all her eggs and is taking real good care of them . Will the hen that killed her chick be able to sit again without killing her chicks or will she do it again. Please let me know cause i dont this to happen again Thanks .

2. HelenaJean

HelenaJean Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2011
    outback Australia
    i'm sorry mate, i don't know. I don't imagine she would, i've heard of dogs burrying puppes and then going on the raise multiple litters afterwards.
    I have a very young silkie who i got to sit on some eggs too, they're so little and inexperience, i don't think she would have meant to kill her baby, it's just not a natural insitinct.
    good luck with the rest of your babies!

3. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    my BO girl went broody for her 1st time and is stilling hatching (got 5, waiting on 3 more HOPEFULLY) but she ate one at about 16-17 days? [​IMG] I think she squashed it accidently and it died so she disposed of it so it wouldnt get bacteria to the others [​IMG] Maybe she did something similar?

4. chickendude1

chickendude1 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2010
    Morganton North Carolina
    Thanks I guess ill let her sit on some eggs next spring

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by