Broody sitting on eight eggs, four have hatched--how long should I leave the others?

Pitaya

Chirping
May 3, 2018
I don't have a rooster but borrowed some fertilized eggs from a friend when one of my hens went broody. Four of the eight have hatched--one hatched two days ago, and three more hatched yesterday. There are four more eggs under her and she is still sitting on them; how long should I leave them?
I'd like to move mama and chicks to a larger enclosure than the nesting box they have been hanging out in, I've not wanted to disturb her though while she was still sitting.

I don't have a rooster but borrowed some fertilized eggs from a friend when one of my hens went broody. Four of the eight have hatched--one hatched two days ago, and three more hatched yesterday. There are four more eggs under her and she is still sitting on them; how long should I leave them?
I'd like to move mama and chicks to a larger enclosure than the nesting box they have been hanging out in, I've not wanted to disturb her though while she was still sitting.
Are the eggs piped?

She needs to get off of them by tomorrow at the latest so she can take care of the older ones. Chicks are equipped to survive about 3 days with no food or water when they hatch for just this reason.

You could candle the remaining eggs, but she will most likely get up and tend to the ones that have hatched when the proper time comes. They can sense when an egg is hopeless, and they know when to stay when ones will still hatch.

If you can provide food/water close enough, she will begin to teach the little ones, but will still cover the remaining eggs until hope is lost. Broodies are amazing!

You could candle the remaining eggs, but she will most likely get up and tend to the ones that have hatched when the proper time comes. They can sense when an egg is hopeless, and they know when to stay when ones will still hatch.

If you can provide food/water close enough, she will begin to teach the little ones, but will still cover the remaining eggs until hope is lost. Broodies are amazing!

That's what I try to do. Also so they eat more when they're nesting in the first place

I am having the same problem. Two of my silkies are in a co-parenting situation and currently have four chicks. Several eggs are still under them. The first hatched on Friday and one hatched yesterday (Thursday), so it appears more are coming. They have food and water near them. I have seen the chicks drinking but not eating. I heard that during lockdown the mamas don't eat or drink anything, and they have been in lockdown for several days. I doubt that's very good for them. What should I do?

Assuming all eggs were set at the same time, they should hatch within 48 hours of each other.

My practice is to wait until day 23, and then gently move the broody off the nest. Any remaining eggs at that point are almost always duds. I also like to place water and a little food within reach after momma has her first chick. Truthfully, that probably unnaturally prolongs the time my hens will stay on the nest, thus necessitating my intervention on day 23. But, I feel better about everyone having access to food and water, particularly since my hens like to go broody in the driest, hottest part of summer.

Back
Top Bottom