Broody situation... please help

fogbubble

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 9, 2009
Western NC
My favorite Welsh Harlequin girl has gone broody on me as of this morning. She's down in the nesting box hoping to hatch the white-painted rock that I use as a dummy egg. I've got fertile eggs from her and the other ducks that I could put under her, but I can't do that now because they would hatch over spring break when we'd be out of town for a week. Can I wait a week and then put some real eggs under her, (putting her brood time at 35 days), or would she give up after day 29? She seems very determined.
And another thing: if I force her off the nest and hopefully break her broodiness, can I count on her to try again when the timing is better? I know each duck is different but I'm looking at other people's experience.
Thanks,
Shannon

Hmmm. I would think that waiting a week is better than hoping to break a broody. I have had chickens brood well beyond the 21 day mark when I have added late eggs to a clutch. As long as you are sure that she is getting on and off the nest to eat and drink, she wont mind the extra few days waiting for her babies.
smile.png

Yes i agree, she should sit for the xtra time but you have to watch they dont get too skinny as they dont eat alot while sitting so puttine food and water within a few feet to her broody spot would be a beneficial idea to her... otherwise i think she will be fine!!
big_smile.png
Goodluck abd if she does hatch i want the pics!!!! haha

Back
Top Bottom