Broody stray just discovered on 11 eggs under junked car.

Kareldb

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2019
Neighbor's towed car away exposing eggs. I thought she had left, hadn't been seen for 4days. We fixed dog crate with hay forced her off nest and put eggs in crate. She was very upset but after a coup!e hours got in crate to lay. Didn't come out for 4days. We realized eggs infertile so we made her come out and we stole all her eggs. Not quite so upset. Question is when can we expect her to start laying again?. Don't want it to get so far along. Thank you

Neighbor's towed car away exposing eggs. I thought she had left, hadn't been seen for 4days. We fixed dog crate with hay forced her off nest and put eggs in crate. She was very upset but after a coup!e hours got in crate to lay. Didn't come out for 4days. We realized eggs infertile so we made her come out and we stole all her eggs. Not quite so upset. Question is when can we expect her to start laying again?. Don't want it to get so far along. Thank you
Is she still setting on nest like she's broody?
These are the signs I look for in a broody:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

About 20 days
Not necessarily.

Do you even want to keep her?
I live in an industrial, mfg. Area of town on a very busy street. This stray just showed up one day and has been here for about 5 weeks. I am completely chicken ignorant. I have no safe place for her and am very worried a dog will get her. Now she's laying eggs and I'm more worried. She is beautiful. There no roosters or chickens around so I know she must be lonely. I never knew there were stray chickens.
Animal control might take her, ads at farm store and/or craigslist. Otherwise, best get her a coop and run and some friends.

Oh and Welcome to BYC! @Kareldb
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-5-1_8-19-55.png

Last edited:
Thanks for responding. I live in Corpus Christi, TX. She sat on her eggs nonstop. Didn't come out for food, water, poop. Once we forced her out and took her eggs she spent night on nest but came out on her own in the morning. Hadn't been in there again. She lays down a lot during the day now. Not sure if she is ok? Sleeps in free at night

Sleeps in tree. I have become attached to her and think she's liking me too but I don't think this is a good spot for her. I have a feeling this won't end well. For her or me.

Back
Top Bottom