Broody -- Success in December!

DAFox

Songster
10 Years
Nov 7, 2009
SW MO in Vernon Co
One of my BA hens is probably broody. She's got all the signs as my hand will attest. If so, hatching will be in the beginning of December.
I live in SW Missouri where the weather can be quite variable from one hour to the next. I don't have a heated building to put her and eggs in. I do have electricity going to the garage so I was thinking of using a light bulb for some radiant warmth. My husband is going to love this idea...
tongue.png
Especially that the chicks may have to stay in the garage for awhile...
I am equally concerned about chick survival in the cold.
Anyway, I'd love to hear and learn about experiences and please, be generous with your tips. I don't have an incubator other than my hens.
Thanks,
Dale-Ann

Last edited:
i would get a good sized cardboard box and bring her and the eggs inside. my hen hatched in our home in a box. i dont put the chicks outside till they are fully feathered. but thats my personal choice to do that. others may do differant. the chicks need some heat when they first go outside. if it gets really cold you will need to put heat out for the grown chickens too.

Chicks under hens don't need heat like incubator hatched chicks. Momma keeps them really warm. If it gets really cold the garage idea to help her out might be worthwhile, but if you keep the food and water close by, chickies should be ok without bringing them in the house.

I got a BO broody right now sitting on 6 eggs... due to hatch around Thanksgiving... I think Momma will take care of them just fine and if not guess I'll be bring them inside...

Thank-you for replying and easing my mind a bit.
My hen was chased off that nest on the 13th, but, picked another one with eggs from that day. I moved her that night to a plastic tote with a hole cut in the side, attached to a rabbit cage. For now, I've left her outside, in a fenced area. I figured it would be less of a trauma, than moving her to the garage right away. I'll keep a good eye on the weather and see if I need to intervene any more than I have. She is still setting. so, so far so good.
I put a silkie egg, a silkie/BO-RIR cross egg, and a millefluer leghorn egg under her, too. I figure if these hatch, I'll brood them and let her have the rest of the standards.
I'll keep posting her progress.
Thanks again,
Dale-Ann

Today will be day 4 for my broody hen on these eggs.
It has been rainy and raw here. I added a board on top of the rabbit cage to cover some of it, so my hen doesn't get too wet when she ventures out for food and water.
I've been thinking that I should have put one tote inside another so I could have insulated between them. The next time I get to a store, I'll figure it out and see about making one. As it is, I did put a generous amount of hay in the tote, so it is ok for now, I think.
My biggest problem is that I only have chicken tractors and not a walk in coop. I wouldn't be so concerned for her and the future chicks if I had a decently dry and warm place for them. So, guess what is the next item on my honey-do list?
Thanks,
Dale-Ann

My pullets are nuts... At 23 weeks old my BO hen just hatched out 7 chicks. I have another broody NHR that is sitting on 9 eggs and yesterday my Mutt started broody(she will get eggs to).

I think the hen can keep her eggs warm enough as long as you are prepared with a light for the chicks.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
My BR hen is Broody right now but I wont let her set as I have no viable eggs (no roo) Just when my others get done moulting she has to go broody
he.gif

I had a Red Jungle Fowl hen who always hid her nests. We had a warm spell one December and she went broody. January was colder than normal (sub-zero) and she hatched out 11 chicks. Moved her and the babies to a closed building and they thrived.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom