To hatch or get more baby chicks

Skibum

Songster
May 6, 2022
I would like to add upwards of 4 more hens to my flock. I lost a hen this winter so my ratio is dropping with 7:1 rooster ratio. I have a polish so he isn’t a feisty as other roos May be. My plan was to let the hens hatch out if anyone went broody but I haven’t experienced that with any of my hens. My main concern with hatching myself is of course getting roos. I have the safe I could make a bachelor pad if need be. My main concern is I prefer my chicks to be Mareks vaccinated as my older hens are and there are a lot of wild birds in my yard. My run is mostly secure from large birds but sparrows and other small birds slip right through the chain link fencing. Despite not feeding them wild birds feel my backyard is a sanctuary. Many robins nest in my mature spruce and chokecherry trees.

Anyways, I’m torn between an incubator or baby chicks esp. given the vaccine problem. How do others make this decision. Ideal would be a broody taking care of the babies so I don’t need to raise them in the house (no garage but I have done it before)

I would like to add upwards of 4 more hens to my flock. I lost a hen this winter so my ratio is dropping with 7:1 rooster ratio. I have a polish so he isn’t a feisty as other roos May be. My plan was to let the hens hatch out if anyone went broody but I haven’t experienced that with any of my hens. My main concern with hatching myself is of course getting roos. I have the safe I could make a bachelor pad if need be. My main concern is I prefer my chicks to be Mareks vaccinated as my older hens are and there are a lot of wild birds in my yard. My run is mostly secure from large birds but sparrows and other small birds slip right through the chain link fencing. Despite not feeding them wild birds feel my backyard is a sanctuary. Many robins nest in my mature spruce and chokecherry trees.
If you want females but not males, and you want them vaccinated for Mareks, then I think ordering from a hatchery is probably the best choice for that situation.

That way you don't have unvaccinated chicks, you don't have to figure out how to vaccinate them yourself, and you don't have to deal with males (making a bachelor pad is definitely possible, but it sounds like you would rather not. Some people are happy to eat excess males, but it doesn't sound like you want to do that either.)

Anyways, I’m torn between an incubator or baby chicks esp. given the vaccine problem. How do others make this decision. Ideal would be a broody taking care of the babies so I don’t need to raise them in the house (no garage but I have done it before)
For how I make decisions like this: I try to look at what I want, and how much that is or isn't possible for each option, then choose accordingly.

Based on what you said, I think ordering from the hatchery sounds like the best fit.

But that could change if there is something else important to you, that you didn't mention (like if you really want to experience hatching chicks, or if you want chicks that descend specifically from your current hens and rooster.)

I have read that vaccinated chicks should not be exposed to other chickens for some period of time, to develop immunity before they have a chance of getting infected. If you want a broody hen to raise them, this could be a problem. (Of course if no hen goes broody at the right time, you would be raising the chicks yourself anyway, so it would not be a big deal to keep them separate from the adults for long enough.)

If you want females but not males, and you want them vaccinated for Mareks, then I think ordering from a hatchery is probably the best choice for that situation.

That way you don't have unvaccinated chicks, you don't have to figure out how to vaccinate them yourself, and you don't have to deal with males (making a bachelor pad is definitely possible, but it sounds like you would rather not. Some people are happy to eat excess males, but it doesn't sound like you want to do that either.)

For how I make decisions like this: I try to look at what I want, and how much that is or isn't possible for each option, then choose accordingly.

Based on what you said, I think ordering from the hatchery sounds like the best fit.

But that could change if there is something else important to you, that you didn't mention (like if you really want to experience hatching chicks, or if you want chicks that descend specifically from your current hens and rooster.)

I have read that vaccinated chicks should not be exposed to other chickens for some period of time, to develop immunity before they have a chance of getting infected. If you want a broody hen to raise them, this could be a problem. (Of course if no hen goes broody at the right time, you would be raising the chicks yourself anyway, so it would not be a big deal to keep them separate from the adults for long enough.)
Thank you for the response! I have dispatched excess males and fed them to my friends before. I don’t personally eat meat. You’re right I don't really want a bachelor pad. I feed high quality feed and it isn’t cheap.

I was very happy with my most recent chick batch from Mt Healthy, but apparently they cannot ship to CO anymore. I’m not sure if poultry laws changed or what. I wish the local feed store sold vaccinated chicks. They couldn’t give me a straight answer on that last time I asked.

I’m interested in raising from my own stock but I wish I had a different Roo if I was going to do that. With blue or brown egg color and/or better egg laying genes than Polish but my dude is a good Roo and I don’t want to get rid of him.

I think you’re right. Maybe I’ll just wait and see if anyone wants to brood and if not get babies next spring. I kinda need a break from raising them in the house. I’ve had two years of chicks in the house back to back.

Maybe I’ll just wait and see if anyone wants to brood and if not get babies next spring. I kinda need a break from raising them in the house. I’ve had two years of chicks in the house back to back.
That sounds like a reasonable plan, given what you've described.

Back
Top Bottom