Broody Sussex Hatch-Along

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
I've got my first broody hen this season! Or rather pullet, she's only been laying for a couple of months!
She's a Coronation Sussex, without a name. I can get some photos later, if wanted. I've put 7 eggs under her, 4 from my Cuckoo Orpington and 3 from my RIR X Light Sussex, their father is (hopefully) George, my CO X LS. I'm a little concerned that she's not quite committed yet, so we'll have to see if she sticks to it, or not.
If anyone else has got any broody hens, come and join in!

Can’t wait to see these babies! I will follow this. Gonna be some pretty chicks.
Thanks for following! There's been both bad news, and some good. The good is that so far she's been an excellent mother, hardly coming of the nest at all and is very careful with the eggs; carefully tucking them under herself.
The bad is that due to someone else collecting the eggs for me when I couldn't get to it, one of the fertile eggs got collected and put in the fridge. It hadn't been under her very long, but I would still be very surprised if it hatched. Because of that, and also because I had my doubts about one or two of the others, for the last time I added three more. They will be a bit staggered, but not to bad.
And then this morning, one of the eggs got broken, I suspect by one of the other hens.(I've closed off that nesting box now) and then when I was cleaning up the others one broke in my hand:hitso now there's ten, and probably not all will hatch. :(

Thanks for following! There's been both bad news, and some good. The good is that so far she's been an excellent mother, hardly coming of the nest at all and is very careful with the eggs; carefully tucking them under herself.
The bad is that due to someone else collecting the eggs for me when I couldn't get to it, one of the fertile eggs got collected and put in the fridge. It hadn't been under her very long, but I would still be very surprised if it hatched. Because of that, and also because I had my doubts about one or two of the others, for the last time I added three more. They will be a bit staggered, but not to bad.
And then this morning, one of the eggs got broken, I suspect by one of the other hens.(I've closed off that nesting box now) and then when I was cleaning up the others one broke in my hand:hitso now there's ten, and probably not all will hatch. :(
There’s nothing you could do though, just do the best you can. I wish you the best hatch rate, and mostly hens.

There's two chicks hatched!:celebrate Both are black, so are from my cuckoo Orpington.
A third one hatched, but sadly didn't make it. There's still a couple of eggs, so hopefully some more will hatch.

Back
Top Bottom