Sick Female Guinea

aqhamills

Hatching
May 12, 2024
I’m finding a lot about chickens, but not a lot about guinea illness and how to treat when searching. I’m hoping this community could lend an ear and some advice.

We have a sick guinea. Her vent is red, feathers are missing around it, and looks to have diarrhea. She’s laying soft eggs (no shell). We’ve supplied water with probiotics and a pan with yogurt today. Guineas aren’t known for being amenable to new things in their environment, so it’s not as if I can force her to drink it/eat it. She’s free ranging and pecking around outside seemingly like normal.

I’m thinking this is vent gleet? Could it be something else? Other ideas on how to treat?

Thank you in advance!

I’m finding a lot about chickens, but not a lot about guinea illness and how to treat when searching. I’m hoping this community could lend an ear and some advice.

We have a sick guinea. Her vent is red, feathers are missing around it, and looks to have diarrhea. She’s laying soft eggs (no shell). We’ve supplied water with probiotics and a pan with yogurt today. Guineas aren’t known for being amenable to new things in their environment, so it’s not as if I can force her to drink it/eat it. She’s free ranging and pecking around outside seemingly like normal.

I’m thinking this is vent gleet? Could it be something else? Other ideas on how to treat?

Thank you in advance!
Make sure she is getting supplemental calcium. You may want to give her a liquid calcium supplement as well as access to oyster shell.

Make sure you are not acidifying her water as one of the adverse effects is preventing proper absorption of calcium.

Most poultry diseases have the same treatment across the different species.

I’m hoping this community could lend an ear and some advice.

Hallo :frow

Welcome to BackYard Chickens.
:welcome

I joined here at the beginning of the year and found this community very welcoming and helpful... especially about Guinea Fowl. I hope you get the same experience and I hope your Guinea Fowl recovers quickly. Please let us know how it fares.

Back
Top Bottom