Broody Sussex hen with incubator chicks- 1st hatch for me

Michelle Spall

Chirping
Oct 1, 2017
Still East qld
Ok, so I was given a Sussex white hen and roster. No idea of age. I waited a couple of months and she hadn't gone broody so took 4 of her eggs and 4 from my Rhode red and incubated them. They are on day 10.
So now Sussex hen gone broody and staying in box.
My question is if when the incubated chicks are born can I put them in the box with her?
Would this make her discard her hatch. She has nested in the small hutch that was for to be home for the incubated chicks and I have no other cages. This hen was given baby chicks before and straight away tucked them under her wing, so that was the plan A. Now I need plan B C & possibly D lol

What would you do in this situation?

Be a sneaky devl and place them right under her.:oops: She will not know that they are not hers. Try to do it at night. I have read that some
hens actually stole other chicks from fellow hens, and adopted them. Usually happened when there were multiple broody hens at same time. The baby chicks just got confused who mama was. :wee
WISHING YOU BEST and .....:welcome

Ok, so I was given a Sussex white hen and roster. No idea of age. I waited a couple of months and she hadn't gone broody so took 4 of her eggs and 4 from my Rhode red and incubated them. They are on day 10.
My question is if when the incubated chicks are born can I put them in the box with her?
Would this make her discard her hatch. She has nested in the small hutch that was for to be home for the incubated chicks and I have no other cages. This hen was given baby chicks before and straight away tucked them under her wing, so that was the plan A. Now I need plan B C & possibly D lol

Id try it worth them having a momma to teach them the ropes.

Give her 4 and u can see how she takes it. 4 for u 4 for her

She would definitely give up on her current eggs if you give her chickies.... how far apart are the eggs under her and the ones in the incubator? Will they all hatch around the same time?

That's well over a week separate. You could let her sit on the eggs until the ones in the brooder hatch, then sneak in the middle of the night, switch out the eggs for the hatched chickies, and finishe the eggs in the incubator. You then POSSIBLY could sneak the baby chicks in with the week old chicks.... but it may not work.

Back
Top Bottom