Broody??? Too Funny!! *PIC ADDED* Pg. 7

lau.gif
hahaha this is so funny! and that she predicted it too!! haha I can't wait to see if something hatches hahahaha!!

You know I have never had a hen go broody .. only a duck. Now I have a white orpington that has been sitting on her nest since yesterday and I know she has eggs under her being as her nest is a popular nest. I also have a partridge rock that is been sitting on a nest most of the day which her nest is a popular one also. I was gonna post on here how to tell if your hen is broody but now I don't need to ask that. I have only seen one turken mix that I thought was ugly. Good luck

I'll let y'all know how she does.
fl.gif

And if I need any volunteers to remove the golfballs and try to put eggs under her. Anyone got a 10 ft. pole?
hide.gif

Quote:
The technique we used when I was a child was to carry an empty can, like a tomato can with us. When we had to reach under a hen, we'd clap the can down over her head and hold it there while we reached under her. Hen would be sitting there pecking the inside of the can while we rooted around in the nest pulling out eggs.

Quote:
The technique we used when I was a child was to carry an empty can, like a tomato can with us. When we had to reach under a hen, we'd clap the can down over her head and hold it there while we reached under her. Hen would be sitting there pecking the inside of the can while we rooted around in the nest pulling out eggs.

Great tip i might have to use that i have a mama just hatched 5 last week & my BO has gone broody again for the 2nd time this month & she is a grouch. just need to open the door into the coop & she starts screaming.

Quote:
You never know. She's the 2nd smallest of the meatie girls and even with 3 or 4 eggs in their nest sometimes they've yet to smash an egg...yet.
fl.gif

When I got chickens for the first time, I got them in July, and took the last chicks. I got a cornish cross. She went broody and raised a nice batch of chicks and was a great mother, so am sending good vibes to you! I didn't know what we were doing, (I don't think she did either) but I slipped 6 chicks under her at the end of the 21 days, (I didn't have fertilized eggs).

Good vibes to you!

You've been here before but here is really hoping she makes three days and nights. I trust you will check her at night since sitting on the nest during daytime does not count. Only nighttime counts.

I don't know how many eggs your Brahmas are layiing now, but I would wait until I had a dozen. That is enough and not too many. She can easily cover more eggs but you still have winter in front of you. It would be nice if she could cover the chicks when they are three weeks old. With 12 eggs, you should get several to hatch. The way they spread their weight around, I would not worry about her smashing them as long as you have some kind of bedding in there. You can always candle them before you give them to her to see if you see cracks in the shell. That''s actually not a bad idea, but overall you tend to worry too much.

As far as reaching under her and all that. When I was a kid many decades ago (remember to respect your elders) one of my chores was gathering eggs. If we had a broody, I had to check under her every day. Some of those broodies were mean. I did not want to check under them. But every day I would grab them and throw them off the nest to see if another hen had laid under them. I did not want to grab some of those mean broodies, but I did not want to tell my dad that I was afraid of a broody hen even more. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Back
Top Bottom