broody turkey hen question

Ariel91

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
Titusville Florida
Hello, I have a possibly silly question.

I've got a young turkey (both she and her "man" are a little under a year) and she started laying 3 or 4 days ago. She is already acting broody, only leaves the nest once or twice a day to eat and go potty. She had about 8 eggs under her, all pinkish with almost purple spots. (Kinda like dr sues, so I know they are all her eggs, never seen anything like them before). Up until tonight she was being an excellent future momma. Well tonight I find her on the nest my guinea hen had been working on, brooding her little (huge) heart out. I do not dare move her for fear of her mammoth feet crushing all of my hard earned guinea eggs if I spook her. (She's nice, but hates to be touched and freaks out if I get too near to her) So my question is will the eggs she has been laying be okay? Or have they already started developing because she has sat on them so long? I expect to find her on her own nest tomorrow (guinea will probably have been given a turkey egg as rent payment). Thanks for any info! :)

p.s. I've had this couple for about four months, next spring they'll probably be more used to me and much friendlier. They've gone leaps and bounds from where they started at, I bribed them with animal cookies, lol. Until then I feel like Elmer Fudd everytime I walk by her. XD "be vewy, vewy quiet, de tuwkey is bwooding."

Hard to say. My turkey hen does a few trial runs of sitting before sitting for good. Her eggs always turn out fine. If she hatches the guinea eggs, she probably will not sit on her eggs anymore. When I see mine start doing her trial runs, I make sure she is alone in her coop with just her eggs.

Back
Top Bottom