Broody Weirdness

FreedomGalTx

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
I have a Wyandotte who is just over a year. Last summer she laid eggs for 2 weeks then went broody 2x. She was thin & pale comb. We just couldn't break her. She fattened up over the winter & now has gone broody again. Color still good. Problem is I borrowed a rooster for fertilized eggs & she will lay on 1 or 2, then pushes them behind her. At one point she had 4, then pushed out 2. Now she is laying on 1, pushed out the 2 lighter ones she laid on all day & night yesterday. What is she doing? I want her to be able to do this if it's what she wants. The eggs are fertilized, I've had the rooster for 7days & cracked one open to check before giving her access to them. She stopped laying 3weeks ago when she went broody put we forced her out for 3hrs a day until the rooster came. Idk what I'm doing. These are our 1st chickens. I'd like her to hatch at least 3 so.i can keep any pellets & give my friend any roos

I have a Wyandotte who is just over a year. Last summer she laid eggs for 2 weeks then went broody 2x. She was thin & pale comb. We just couldn't break her. She fattened up over the winter & now has gone broody again. Color still good. Problem is I borrowed a rooster for fertilized eggs & she will lay on 1 or 2, then pushes them behind her. At one point she had 4, then pushed out 2. Now she is laying on 1, pushed out the 2 lighter ones she laid on all day & night yesterday. What is she doing? I want her to be able to do this if it's what she wants. The eggs are fertilized, I've had the rooster for 7days & cracked one open to check before giving her access to them. She stopped laying 3weeks ago when she went broody put we forced her out for 3hrs a day until the rooster came. Idk what I'm doing. These are our 1st chickens. I'd like her to hatch at least 3 so.i can keep any pellets & give my friend any roos
Also, she us in a nesting box of a small coop. Can I move her & the eggs to a brooder cage I have?

Small coop

Attachments

• 20240328_172733.jpg
    20240328_172733.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 15
In my experience they don’t like to be moved. I’ve had girls completely abandon the eggs afterward. At this point, is it possible to give her some chicks? For her health, that’s the route I would go. Slip them under her at night from the back, then monitor to make sure she accepts them. Have a plan in case she doesn’t.

To break her otherwise, try a dog crate with no bedding for a few days. Keep her where she can visit with the rest of the flock and then let her out. If she doesn’t break, try it for a week.

Good article. I have alfa hay but all I did was put a little on the bottom. Should I build it all up for her? The eggs are ALWAYS at the back, behind her.

Attachments

• 20240328_173341.jpg
    20240328_173341.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 14
In my experience they don’t like to be moved. I’ve had girls completely abandon the eggs afterward. At this point, is it possible to give her some chicks? For her health, that’s the route I would go. Slip them under her at night from the back, then monitor to make sure she accepts them. Have a plan in case she doesn’t.

To break her otherwise, try a dog crate with no bedding for a few days. Keep her where she can visit with the rest of the flock and then let her out. If she doesn’t break, try it for a week.
Idk what she would do if I put chick's under there. So new to this. I mean if they hatch where they are(if they do, I added bedding for her and started moving it around) I would have to move them & her immediately to the cage so the chick's have access to food & water. I have a coop. All food & water is downstairs. My hens are very loving spoiled girls, she may let me move her....she only growls when I open the door. She has never pecked at me.

Also, she has only been.on eggs for 3 days as if today. I could start over

Also, she has only been.on eggs for 3 days as if today. I could start over
But you said she went broody three weeks ago? Has she been sitting that long?

Honestly, any time you put chicks under a hen it’s a risk. As long as she has been sitting long enough I’ve had good luck with it. Just be sure to do it after dark and put them under her from behind.

If your crew gets along well then you may not have to put them in a cage. I never separate my broodies from the flock. Mama will protect them, just leave food and water on the floor. Usually the other flock members are curious but don’t bother them.

Back
Top Bottom