Broody?

This thread came at a perfect time! One of my hens just went broody, and it answered all my questions (first time for my little flock). My girl is now in a dog crate, nice small guage wire on the bottom and the crate raised off the floor of the coop, food and water too. She's still behaving broody in the crate. Took out a favorite treat -- cooked pasta -- and she ignored it. Will this behavior continue for a while? (I customized the "broody crate" this afternoon, so she's only been in it for a couple hours.)

Some other ways are placing frozen water bottles or frozen ice packs or veggies and letting her sit on them. A dunk in cold water sometimes helps. As long as her stomach is cool, sometimes uncomfortably so, she will break...hopefully

This thread came at a perfect time! One of my hens just went broody, and it answered all my questions (first time for my little flock). My girl is now in a dog crate, nice small guage wire on the bottom and the crate raised off the floor of the coop, food and water too. She's still behaving broody in the crate. Took out a favorite treat -- cooked pasta -- and she ignored it. Will this behavior continue for a while? (I customized the "broody crate" this afternoon, so she's only been in it for a couple hours.)
Just leave her in there for a few days and nights, then let her out late in day.... if she goes back to nest, put her back in crate for a couple more days.... if she goes to roost, she's broken.

My Silkie had been broody now for about a week. I don't mind the lack of eggs but worry she is eating and drinking enough. When I have lifted her from the nest, she feels very skinny. Should I brake the broody behaviour by following your useful tips or should I just let her come out of it by herself and how long does this last.
Thank you on advance.

Back
Top Bottom