Broody.

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
So as im trying to get one of my hens to go broody. Since 2 of them have gone broody for 3 days then quit. But my orp has been going broody again. I have a friend who has some silkies and she said i could have the hatching eggs as long as if any come back as cockerals with good colors she wants. My question is will putting the eggs in at night work better thand putting them in during the day once she is broody? As j seem to scare them out of the boxes in the day and at night they dont really notice me.

So as im trying to get one of my hens to go broody. Since 2 of them have gone broody for 3 days then quit. But my orp has been going broody again. I have a friend who has some silkies and she said i could have the hatching eggs as long as if any come back as cockerals with good colors she wants. My question is will putting the eggs in at night work better thand putting them in during the day once she is broody? As j seem to scare them out of the boxes in the day and at night they dont really notice me.
I'd say give her some golf balls as there is something about them that just seems to make them go broody. I don't know why, but it tends to work for some other people I know. Also putting the hatching eggs in ar night and taking out the golf balls will be the best solution imho. Also you show definitely mark the hatching eggs before giving them to her and remove existing ones that are not being used for hatching. That's what I've been told most.

Last edited:
I'd say give her some golf balls as there is something about them that just seems to make them go broody. I don't know why, but it tends to work for some other people I know. Also putting the hatching eggs in ar night and taking out the golf balls will be the best solution imho. Also you show definitely mark the hatching eggs before giving them to her and remove existing ones that are not being used for hatching. That's what I've been told most.
I have 3 fake eggs, thought i had 4. Then a few ping pong balls(thats they kicked out) and 3 or 4 golf balls. Thanks

Once I’ve seen they are not leaving the nest for atleast three days, I just walk up to them and put the eggs underneath them. They scoot them under their belly, and then you are off to the races!

Have you noticed she had plucked her belly feathers?
My brahma plucked some of her feathers. And i did notice today my orp was plucking a few while in the box. Then she quit.

Back
Top Bottom