Broody's chick killed--will she accept an adoptee?

Cadillac Jill

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 5, 2010
Tonight when we went out to coop up the chickens we discovered that our Polish Crested broody hen's lone 5 week old chick had been snatched by something (feathers all over). Momma was perched on the edge of the coop instead of in her usual position in the nest box.

I am just sick. I can't tell you how much joy watching these two together has brought me. The hen was unbelievably dedicated, and I'm very concerned that she'll grieve for her baby.

Is it possible that I might be able to ease the stress by obtaining and adoptee or two for her to mother? My concern is that Baby Bit was a full fledged pullet, and to a large degree had already integrated with the flock. Will the hen even have any interest in a young chick? Is the instinct to mother chick-specific? Does it continue as long as there's a chick in need of nurture? Should I try to get a replacement or just wait and let her get over it?

Sorry for the rambling range of questions. This is a new situation for me, and I'm so sad that I'm afraid I'm borrowing tomorrow's trouble tonight.

Last edited:
it depends is the hen acting like shes never had a chick because by then its to late. but if she still clucks alot for the chick or like lays in the nesting box then you might have a chance it would probley work better thoe if you had same color chick as the one before. dog killed my hens chick 2 weeks ago she acted as if nothing ever happened

Back
Top Bottom