Brought chicken in on cold night, how to put her back out?

Snob Doctor

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 3, 2013
Central New York
Hi guys,
The weather where I am has been intense lately. The temperature will be in the thirties one day and below zero the next. One of these days will have a high of 39 and a low of -4.

One of the below-zero nights, I brought in my tiny silkie hen. She doesn't sleep on the roost with the others, she'll only sleep in her bucket on the floor of the coop. Since she sleeps alone, I got worried and brought her in for the night.

She has been inside for the past two days because it has been crrrrrazy cold outside and I'm afraid she's too timid to snuggle with the others. Now the temperature will be in the high 20's today, supposedly will be in the thirties tomorrow, and I'd like to put her back in the coop (I hate having to keep her in a cage). I'd bring her out in her bucket and put it right in the coop.. Can I do this without shocking her?

-Mallory

P.S. The temperature will get back down below 0 in the next few days, should I avoid bringing her back in?

She will probably be ok if you do it now. Too much longer in the house and her body will start to adapt. But her body is probably still able to tolerate the cold yet.

You might snuggle her in with blankets or towels in her bucket. Even some hay or straw will help her hold in the heat. She should be fine.

Good luck with the cold snap!

Thank you! I put some fresh shavings in her bucket, I might sneak a hand towel in there when I go out to tuck them in for the night.. Should I bring her back in next time it gets in the negatives?

I think if you put enough stuff in her bucket that helps trap air, as long as she is healthy, she should be able to generate enough heat to keep herself warm.

Good luck with your baby!

Back
Top Bottom