brought silkies in garage to keep warm. When to put them out?

Jennyhaschicks

Songster
11 Years
May 3, 2008
Maine
My 4 silkies who are 5 months old were so cold this morning when I went out to get them. They had frozen condensation?? on their head mostly. I didn't want it to progress so I brought them into the garage and put them in a large box.
They are loving it.
wink.png

How long should I keep them in? I am also worried about now they are so warm and I don't want to shock them when I put them out.
Last night was -28 F and today it's about -10 F.
How should I go about doing this?

My garage is attached to the house and has a interior wood boiler in it so it's warm. I would say maybe 70-72 degrees.
I have 2 lights hanging in the coop. One is a 60 watt and the other one is a 100 watt. I have them hanging down and the larger birds get under them, but I think they push the silkies out from under neath it since they are smaller.
It's warmed up out side today. I think it's about 10 above.
I am going to put them back out into the coop and see how they do. I am sure they don't want to be in a large cardboard box?
Or do they since it's warm?
wink.png

The problem you will have with keeping them in such a warm place is that they will become accostomed to it and then when you put them back out they will not do well in even the mild cold. You could have problems in your flock with the other chickens picking on them when you reintrduce them down the road as well.

If I were you I would create a space in the coop just for them and hang one of the lights over them. You could use a cage or even some wire fence to sepaerate them in a corner. That way they will have the light without getting pushed out but they will still be seen by the rest of the flock the whole time.

I had to do that with my banties for the winter as it is cold here in Montana most of the winter. We had several nights of -22 and -38 with the wind chill. My coop is draft free but not insulated so i had to make sure they could get under the light. I use dark blue reptile bulbs that are 75 watts so they wil still have good sleep at night.

Good luck and stay warm.

5 months sounds young for those temps - I wouldn't want them out in less than 30F personally. 60watt lights won't heat much. And brooder lamps only heat what's right in front of them. If I were you I'd hang a couple heat lamps over the roosts where they sleep and let them stay under them. Not too close though - wouldn't want to have them be burned. Good luck! Keep us posted. Lori's idea of reptile (no light,just heat) is excellent. I have one 150watt ceramic bulb as well.......and it really helps. Too much light stresses them too - they need sleep/dark if possible.

Last edited:
Yea, I agree with the having to get used to the temps again. I mean they are going from a 70 degree garage to -30 is a 100 degree difference and more stress. I don't think I could deal with frozen heads, I would be upset. I would rig up their own personal heat lamp or keep them in the garage, and maybe let them out at times when it is above freezing for now.
I live in Florida, the nights have been 30 - 40, and have a JG who is having a major molt. She is cold. All hunched up. I put her under a heat lamp at night till she gets her feathers back.

Back
Top Bottom