Brown Egg Layers throw a White egg?

CluckOut

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 17, 2013
I have 3 white Plymouth Rock hens in an enclosed run/coop who all lay brown eggs. 1 has been laying for about a year, the other 2 started fairly recently (past 3 months). I went out to feed and collect their eggs today and 2 were normal and brown, the other was a bright white egg which had been cracked open and eaten. After collecting the other two unharmed eggs, I tossed an egg in the yard to try to get the egg eater to expose themselves and peck the egg open, but none of the hens had any interest in the egg. Does anyone have any theories about what could have happened, and what possibility made the white egg??

In the foreground is the egg found, in the background is a store bought white egg and a normal brown egg.

Here is a good article on why there would be pigment loss in brown shelled eggs. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm047 Wonder if something happened to stress her in particular, that seems the most likely from their list. If it doesn't happen often I probably wouldn't worry about it, if she does it more would probably look into other causes.

Thanks for the article. We've had a sudden influx of warm weather here so perhaps it was enough to cause her stress. Our farm is pretty quite so not a ton happening. Now as far at the egg eater... We'll have to wait and see if she strikes again. None of the other eggs were harmed, so it's very odd.

Back
Top Bottom