brown leghorn pullet vs. cockerel

Yes, post pics! I am raising a batch of brown leghorn chicks, and am interested to see what 6 wks old looks like.

We only ordered one. Somewhat wishing we ordered more of them, but we got a bunch of different varieties for different colored eggs.
Here they are.

I'd say those look like pullet colors.
I got 4 br. leghorns because I read they are good at avoiding predators and thus a good choice for free ranging. Mine are 10 days old now, sexed as pullets at the nearby hatchery where we got them.

I'd say those look like pullet colors.
I got 4 br. leghorns because I read they  are good at avoiding predators and thus a good choice for free ranging.   Mine are  10 days old now, sexed  as pullets at the nearby hatchery where we got them.  

I love ours. She's one of our more friendly chickens. Wish we had got a few more but I'm still in love with the others we choose. Very excited about the multi colored eggs :)

What other kinds did you get and what colors eggs will they lay? Prior to this batch, I only have brown egg layers, but would like to have others.
With these 4 leghorn chicks I bought 2 bantams on impulse. (a Silver Sebright and a Mille Fleur d'ucccle.) They are the same age, and seem to get along just fine, the leghorns don't bully the little ones. The leghorns are friendlier or at least bolder than the bantams. If I open the door to their brooder cage, they hop right out to see me. The bantams are hesitant.

We have 15 total, all turning 7 weeks old on Monday next week :)
2 Rhode Island Red: brown egg
1 Welsummer: terra cotta speckled brown
1 Golden Cuckoo Maran: dark brown
1 Blue Splash Maran: medium brown speckled
1 Light Brown Leghorn: white
1 Silver Gray Dorking: cream white
3 Easter Eggers: green usually, sometimes blue, tan, off pink brown.
2 Crested Creme Legbar: sky to aqua blue
1 Blue Favaucana: olive green
1 Super Blue layer: light blue
1 Blue ameraucana rooster
This is our first time doing chickens ourselves, but my parents had them for maybe 10/15 years, but almost always brown layers (Rhode Island's, barred rocks, sex links) so when I asked them if we could go in on some with them and they agreed I asked mom if we wanted something different this time around. We're very excited. We've got lots of people around here who already want to buy our extra eggs but we've got months to go still :)

That is so cool about all the colors and that you are doing it w your parents! We do plan to move near our kids in Oregon ...and do something with chickens as well.
The months till there are eggs will go by fast....I too am counting the days till our leghorns lay because our 4 hens aren't producing enuf. Only the 2 younger ones are laying well, and it's rare to get 3 eggs a day..and often there is just one. So I am buying eggs.
With all the different breeds, you will know who laid which eggs, and can keep track of their production....that should be really interesting.

We only ordered one. Somewhat wishing we ordered more of them, but we got a bunch of different varieties for different colored eggs.
Here they are.

If it makes you feel any better my 7 week old Brown Leghorn "pullet" started crowing last week... This is his picture for comparison.

Back
Top Bottom