Brown Leghorns on the West Coast

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Michael Apple, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Does anyone have any Brown leghorns from Don Montgomery in Washington state? If so I'd like to hear about them, or others those experienced with Brown Leghorns have. I'm considering some SC Brown Leghorns this Spring. I'm not interested in birds that win shows because a judge sees nice plumage and ignores body structure. They have to lay more eggs, which is what they are supposed to do. Thank you.

2. BGMatt

BGMatt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    Battle Ground, WA
    Your conception of shows is completely invalid and uninformed. Body is more important than just feathers...try reading the standard instead of putting down something you don't understand.

To actually answer your question, Don has had his Light Brown Leghorns for a very long time, they are excellent birds, they definitely have the size, body conformation and type they should. You won't find better on the west coast for sure.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    My conception of shows is based upon some of the garbage I've seen win awards, so I do understand. My question has already been answered outside the forum, so this thread serves no purpose anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by