two light brown leghorns?

ok...bringin' it to the experts cuz I'm a little confused. I ordered hatching eggs...light brown leghorn. These two chicks are turning out awfully dark! 🤪 Do these look right for light brown leghorns? Anyway...I'm less concerned with the exact breed than I am with what sex they might be. Both have developed MUCH faster(feathering, comb, body shape) than the other 5 varied breed chicks from this hatch, but that may be cuz they mature faster? I'm hoping! What I'm seeing is that both have some pretty decent sized combs...which sometimes go red on em...but not always. Here...I'll show you:View attachment 3191813
View attachment 3191817

View attachment 3191830View attachment 3191831
The first two pics are Rita, the second two are Ruby. They're 4 1/2 weeks old. Sorry for the angles, but they're both pretty quick...it's very difficult to get a good shot of em! They look almost identical now except that Rita is darker, and Ruby has that red on her back. Ruby started getting her comb earlier and redder than Rita at first, but now their combs are almost identical. I think Ruby's might even be bigger/redder now! :-\ Are those some surefire signs of cockerel in leghorns? Or could these still be girls? I'm also a little worried about that red coloring on Ruby's back...is that a sign of roo? :-\ I'd love to have a breeding pair of these...they're the only two chicks of the same breed that I got out of this hatch...but they look SOOO much like each other...I doubt it's one of each. :-\

Can anyone help with guessing the gender on these chickies?
Who started plucking that one poor bird alive? It looks like something was out to remove it's wing?

Who started plucking that one poor bird alive? It looks like something was out to remove it's wing?
Nobody's plucking anyone in there...they're not fully feathered yet...and shes letting her wings fall a little lower than normal cuz she's preening, so you're seeing the young chickie-fluff under her wing that hasn't been replaced by feathers yet. Ooops...i guess i should be saying he/him/his, since the experts have pretty much crushed my hopes of either one bein a pullet. 😝

I must say though, I don’t know about the colour gendering in here, it does make sense though. The comb of female leghorns is usually really big, so that is not the indication in that case.

20220723_112113.jpg

@MysteryChicken

Back
Top Bottom