two light brown leghorns?

Dianekw

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2016
ok...bringin' it to the experts cuz I'm a little confused. I ordered hatching eggs...light brown leghorn. These two chicks are turning out awfully dark! 🤪 Do these look right for light brown leghorns? Anyway...I'm less concerned with the exact breed than I am with what sex they might be. Both have developed MUCH faster(feathering, comb, body shape) than the other 5 varied breed chicks from this hatch, but that may be cuz they mature faster? I'm hoping! What I'm seeing is that both have some pretty decent sized combs...which sometimes go red on em...but not always. Here...I'll show you:
20220717_214353[1].jpg

20220717_214220[1].jpg

20220717_214438[1].jpg
20220717_214425[1].jpg

The first two pics are Rita, the second two are Ruby. They're 4 1/2 weeks old. Sorry for the angles, but they're both pretty quick...it's very difficult to get a good shot of em! They look almost identical now except that Rita is darker, and Ruby has that red on her back. Ruby started getting her comb earlier and redder than Rita at first, but now their combs are almost identical. I think Ruby's might even be bigger/redder now! :-\ Are those some surefire signs of cockerel in leghorns? Or could these still be girls? I'm also a little worried about that red coloring on Ruby's back...is that a sign of roo? :-\ I'd love to have a breeding pair of these...they're the only two chicks of the same breed that I got out of this hatch...but they look SOOO much like each other...I doubt it's one of each. :-\

Can anyone help with guessing the gender on these chickies?

I agree that they are males. My female brown leghorns have a light brown chest. This is one of them from WEEKS ago. But you can see her chest color.

Attachments

• 20F46A4E-99D2-4C8E-893F-C5D0917119B0.jpeg
    20F46A4E-99D2-4C8E-893F-C5D0917119B0.jpeg
    835.9 KB · Views: 20
Here's a Red JungleFowl cockerel. He shares the same dark breasts, which is a tell tale sign of a male.
View attachment 3191848
I would have liked to put informative, because this was. informative to me and I appreciate learning on BYC. But I hear. people are getting called out for using informative, when someone thinks this is something others should have already known.
Thank you so much for this information, I am sure I was not the only one who did not. know this. :wee

I would have liked to put informative, because this was. informative to me and I appreciate learning on BYC. But I hear. people are getting called out for using informative, when someone thinks this is something others should have already known.
Thank you so much for this information, I am sure I was not the only one who did not. know this. :wee
You're welcome.

It is information worth noting ;) .

I believe the informative button is appropriate to use when you feel someone’s post has been informative. If others choose to use it in a sarcastic or different way that’s up to them. But I believe it is meant to be used as it was intended. This is how I use it and will continue to do so. 😊

Screenshot_20220714-205855(1).png

Back
Top Bottom