Brown Leghorns: Pics, Info, and Resources

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gresh, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Henfluff

Henfluff Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2013
    Florida
    Brown Leghorn chick.... I think :p
    [​IMG]

2. Kidhenduckohmy

Kidhenduckohmy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2012
    Upper Michigan
    [​IMG][/IMG][/B]I just bought four brown leghorns. But the hens that where at the breeders looked different than the brown hens on here. They were a tan color with white. They were overall lighter than all the hens pictured on here. Are there color variations of the brown leghorns? They were very pretty birds and the rooster looked the same as the roosters listed on here. Wish I would have taken a picture of the breeders birds.
    One of my chicks also looks different from the other three. She is more of a golden color.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  3. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

So.... funny story. Girl decides to get chickens, girl goes to feed store, girl asks what they have left and leaves with among other things - 6 "Ameraucanas". Which don't get muffs - so girl reads they must be "Easter Eggers". Still she is excited she will some day have a bunch of blue and green eggs... Her favorite part is how they all like to sit in her lap and be cuddled though. Not at all flighty. Then she begins doing more research.... many tell her she has Brown Leghorns :D What do you think??
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. familypendragon

familypendragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Site froze on me. Let me add a few pics that are from last week too. They are 11 weeks old. Are they Brown Leghorns? And if so which kind do you think? The only one with a comb so far is the one at the bottom - Kabuki - and it is a straight comb. I am assuming she is really a he.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. driimingtree

driimingtree New Egg

Aug 22, 2013

we got our chickens from a farm in Norco CA. we took home 6 total hens at 9 weeks, one being a leghorn. she is not as friendly as the brown wynadottes or the buff orpingtons & she's pretty flighty. she is the only one laying eggs so far & they are fairly small & white. she pecks at the other hens when I give them snacks even if I spread them around their home area. I think she thinks she's the queen of the coop! she lays hers eggs in her nesting box but we have found the eggs out of the box a few times? not sure y. she sings the egg laying song very loudly when she's laying. she is misevious for sure, she's quickly learned to get out of her caged area now but stays nearby within our yard (it's also fenced & gated). she likes to scratch in the weeds right next to her home. this is our Maybel, the leghorn. :) she just layed an egg for us & seems annoyed about having her photo taken. [​IMG]

6. cookfamilyfarm

cookfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    Missouri
  7. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    This is my roo. He is 2 years old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This last one is Black Leghorn

1 person likes this.
  8. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    It's been a long time since I had any type of Leghorn. I was glad to find out there is still an American Brown Leghorn Club. I joined them.

9. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    Same here on both counts. Hoping for next spring. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I have two 8 week brown leghorn's from MM hatchery. One is developing a comb fast than the other...they are both supposed to be PULLETs. Since the Leghorn has a larger comb than a lot of breeds, is it possible that they ARE both female???

The one is looking a little roo'ish to me, but I thought the same thing about a BC which turned out to be a pullet.

What do you think??

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by