Brown Leghorns: Pics, Info, and Resources

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gresh, Feb 3, 2012.

1. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    color/pattern says pullet

Jeff

2. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Yea!! I only have the two leghorns for white egg layers, so that is great news....although, the Roos ARE beautiful!

Thanks!

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    I want to get some good quality Rose-comb Light or Dark Brown Leghorns -- suggestions as to where to get them? I see Urch has the Rose-combs in Light Brown. Any better sources for those or the Darks?

I've had a few Leghorns before, just commercial Whites, and found their reputation for being flighty was way overblown. They were usually the first to come meet me when I went outside. I want some good layers, don't care about egg color, but our winters can be pretty chilly so need Rose-combs. (It's supposed to be -14 degrees by morning -- my Black Australorp rooster is going to have a frozen comb.)

Thanks,

Kathleen

4. Pozees

Pozees Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2012
    Pueblo, CO
    I've been looking for the same birds LOL - had an order with Urch last year and he was not able to fill it. I was advised to contact Mark Atwood. I have not had time yet, but that's where I was going to start. He advertises in Poultry Press.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Klamath County, OR
    If it turns out that Mark Atwood does have the RC Brown Leghorns, could you PM his contact information to me, please? I may have a line on another source, but just in case, I'd like to have a backup.

It got down to -24 degrees F two mornings in a row, last Sunday and Monday. The Black Australorp roo has definitely got a frost-bitten comb! The BA hens have small combs and are okay, and my other layers are Wyandottes, so they are fine except for the wattles on the roosters (the wattles hang in the water dish when they drink; I think they'd probably be fine otherwise). Leghorns should do okay here -- as long as they have rose combs!

Kathleen

6. MistyMountain

MistyMountain Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    Check out the comb difference in these two leghorns. Anyone think the bigger combed pullet might be getting close to laying? They are both the same age.
    [​IMG]

black_dove2 likes this.
  7. championsumatra

championsumatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Silver City New Mexico
    Yes I do believe so. Or she Is already laying.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    She is not yet, unless she buried eggs 8" down in bedding! Since posing this, all of my other leghorns combs have increased in size and color. Hopefully they will quit freeloading and start providing!

black_dove2 likes this.
  9. championsumatra

championsumatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Silver City New Mexico
    It sounds like they are getting ready to lay.

10. MistyMountain

Aug 24, 2013
    Virginia
    I just went out to check water and close up the coop a bit, super windy and cold here today, and one of the other brown leghorns squatted!! Nest box is ready with wood eggs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by