Brown Leghorns: Pics, Info, and Resources

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Gresh, Feb 3, 2012.

1. championsumatra

championsumatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Silver City New Mexico
    my sumatra rooster got in such a bad fight that there eyes where swollen and blood was comming out of one of their moths. but with care and first Aid they have both recovered.

2. K Epp

K Epp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    North Georgia
    What kind of first aide did you do for them? My boys still cant fly up on the roost its about 6.5 feet up and they never had problems before. My Leghorn is going to his new home today so hopefully this will be the end of it.

3. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Hello Leghorn peeps [​IMG] I wanted to pass on an little info. Dick Holmes is a member of my poultry club (Maryland State Poultry Fancier's Association) and has been a master breeder of exhibition leghorns for many years. He is now in assisted living and word is.. not doing well. He still loves his birds and loves to hear from others about leghorns. If you would like to chat with a master, have any questions, would like to send a card.. or just have some comforting words, I am positive, he would love to hear from you. He is currently in Ellicott City, MD... pm me for his address.

Thanks, Erin (cochin and rosecomb crazy since 07)

4. championsumatra

championsumatra Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2012
    Silver City New Mexico
    I had to put them in a cage so that they can rest. I put on anitbiotics 4 times a day until their cuts were better. and put eye drops in his eyes.a good way to make your roosters happer during this time of recovery is to give them some cheese or something good like that.

5. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey everyone!

Our light brown leghorns are going on 6 months old today. Out of the 5 chickens with the same hatch date (2 EEs, 1 Red Star, 2 LB Leghorns) they are the only ones that haven't laid an egg yet. I fully expected them to beat our Easter Eggers to the nest boxes! They certainly look the part, very developed red comb/wattles.

At what age did your light brown or other non-white leghorns start laying?

6. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    5 mo

7. Manningjw

Manningjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine are clearly slackers then! They check out the boxes every now and then but no eggs yet. Hatched October 29th they are 6 months old to the day.

8. ve

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Leghorns are Mediterranean breed, they grow faster in warm weather. Winter slow them down. I also have one girl, who hatched end of August, she started laying some time in march- this will make her 7 mo old. Others hatched end of April are laying non stop from mid September till now.

9. K Epp

K Epp Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2012
    North Georgia
    Do yours ever have a few weeks that they don't lay as well. Mine started laying in January and laid a egg almost everyday. I haven't changed anything and they are not laying as often. The only disturbance they have had is the roosters fighting. I'm still getting about 3 eggs a week. I have looked all through the woods for hidden nest and haven't found any. Its just has me puzzled. They are in good health as well.

10. ve

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Something is bothering them so they stop laying in the Spring- now is the time when they lay the best. Roosters may be too many, may be cold spring, I would worm them, Leghorns like to hide nest also.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by