Brown mucus from chickens nose. Help ASAP please!

beb444

Chirping
Nov 16, 2015
Northern CA
Hi guys! I need some urgent help ASAP! So my 9 month old Australorp has been brooding for about a week now and I just did my usual rounds to go pick her up and move her and she has like brown/yellow mucus that seems to be more thick than think draining from her nose. There was also some dried up on her nose that was white. Research I've done tells me that this can be dangerous and I want to get this taken care of ASAP so I don't lose any of my babies! Please help!!! Thank you! How do I take care of it, and what is it?

@oldhenlikesdogs @Hholly @TwoCrows do you guys know anything about this or have anyone who would?

Last edited:
Sorry, I have no idea. I hope you get some help.
fl.gif

Hi guys! I need some urgent help ASAP! So my 9 month old Australorp has been brooding for about a week now and I just did my usual rounds to go pick her up and move her and she has like brown/yellow mucus that seems to be more thick than think draining from her nose. There was also some dried up on her nose that was white. Research I've done tells me that this can be dangerous and I want to get this taken care of ASAP so I don't lose any of my babies! Please help!!! Thank you! How do I take care of it, and what is it?
Can you post some photos?
Is she sitting on eggs?
Any wheezing, rattling when breathing, coughing or discharge from the eyes?

If not then you may want to separate her so you can break her broodiness and monitor her food/water intake and any other symptoms that she may have.

Mucous coming from the nostrils would most likely be an indication of respiratory illness.
While antibiotics won't cure a contagious respiratory illness, they can help with secondary infections.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Can you post some photos?
Is she sitting on eggs?
Any wheezing, rattling when breathing, coughing or discharge from the eyes?

If not then you may want to separate her so you can break her broodiness and monitor her food/water intake and any other symptoms that she may have.

Mucous coming from the nostrils would most likely be an indication of respiratory illness.
While antibiotics won't cure a contagious respiratory illness, they can help with secondary infections.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
she is sitting on eggs before we collect them. She is actually looking a lot better! I don't see any mucus at all, it was just that day. Do you think I should still be concerned or no?

she is sitting on eggs before we collect them. She is actually looking a lot better! I don't see any mucus at all, it was just that day. Do you think I should still be concerned or no?
Glad to hear she is looking better.

If she is not brooding any eggs for hatching then you may want to break her broodiness.

Since she is acting ill and broody, then she needs to be monitored for food/water intake and poop output. Also would be helpful in making sure her crop is emptying. Full at night, then empty in the morning before anything to eat or drink.

Offer her some vitamins in her water and give her some extra protein like egg, tuna or mackerel.

Let us know how she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom