Brownish chick poo - Normal?

sphillips

Songster
6 Years
Feb 18, 2013
New Mexico
My chicks are two days old, and I'm seeing some brownish, runny poo on the paper towels. I know that chickens poop different depending on what they're eating etc. But is this normal for chicks as well? Majority of the poo is greenish, and looks okay (as far as poo goes), all but one are acting healthy, and I posted about her in a different post. I was told they aren't old enough to have caught anything like coccidia, so just wondering if young chicks poop different too? Sorry for the stupid question, just haven't even had chicks this little!

My chicks are two days old, and I'm seeing some brownish, runny poo on the paper towels. I know that chickens poop different depending on what they're eating etc. But is this normal for chicks as well? Majority of the poo is greenish, and looks okay (as far as poo goes), all but one are acting healthy, and I posted about her in a different post. I was told they aren't old enough to have caught anything like coccidia, so just wondering if young chicks poop different too? Sorry for the stupid question, just haven't even had chicks this little!
I think this is perfectly normal. I see this with my chicks too, and they are all happy and healthy.

KayleighW: Thanks for your reply. I got to thinking about it, and even though these chicks are so young, I do have older chicks in a coop outside (about 9 weeks old). I'm very careful to wash my hands well every time I mess with them or the chicks, and use hand sanitizer. I don't want to pass anything between the two. The older chicks are healthy, so I'm not too concerned, but I know coccidia can be hard to prevent. As far as hand washing, I'm obsessed now I think. lol! But am I correct in assuming that it could be passed from my older chicks to these if I'm not careful, even though the other ones are healthy? I feel a bit better now, just don't want my girls to suffer if there is something I can do for them.

Last edited:
KayleighW: Thanks for your reply. I got to thinking about it, and even though these chicks are so young, I do have older chicks in a coop outside (about 9 weeks old). I'm very careful to wash my hands well every time I mess with them or the chicks, and use hand sanitizer. I don't want to pass anything between the two. The older chicks are healthy, so I'm not too concerned, but I know coccidia can be hard to prevent. As far as hand washing, I'm obsessed now I think. lol! But am I correct in assuming that it could be passed from my older chicks to these if I'm not careful, even though the other ones are healthy? I feel a bit better now, just don't want my girls to suffer if there is something I can do for them.
Honestly, I've never had a problem with cocci, and I don't know much about it. Washing your hands before handling the others is probably a good idea just to be on the safe side. I just reread your first post. So you do have one that doesn't seem to be doing well? I would keep a close eye on them all, and I hope you little chick gets better.

This is my first post that I can actually say something from experience!
cool.png

I have 6 -7 week old chicks and when they were tiny I AGONIZED because of this really dark brown poo that I was seeing in the pine shavings. I actually kept a chart to see who was pooping what. (obsessive, right?) Come to find out, its the Cecal poo! every 7 or 8 poos, is a runny poo. They are huge now and still do it, but they are very healthy and happy.

Everyone referred to this poop page: http://chat.allotment.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

But I still was worried because my chickies poo was darker than that. I've decided that it must be the feed that I'm using or something like that because like I said they are very healthy!

That said, you should always keep an eye on them if they are acting sick.

Do your adult ones do it?

Back
Top Bottom