Brownish tint at back of the comb???

bantambury

life does go on.
6 Years
Sep 3, 2013
North Carolina
I have a young jap bantam. I have realized on his comb he has a strange shadowed coloring...is this common with this breed and shows up on all chickens???. If anyone can try to identify what this plmk!!! It will help a lot!!!

That looks normal to me. Many roosters with large combs will have a lessened blood supply to the blade and tips of their combs. I have one rooster with a rather large comb, and his comb nearly always has a darker blade (the back of the comb). I think that your bird is just fine.
smile.png

So do your roosters combs also feel a bit different at the browned blade than the rest of the comb? It feels smooth compares to the front of the comb which is rough.

Steele does the same then when the weather is very hot and humid. He's normal in the morning but by the afternoon his comb has darkened areas. I make a point not to stress him during the hot hours. He seems fine, though, and maintains his alert demeanor. On the other hand, if you see this condition in a rooster who is acting lethargic this could indicate cardiac insufficiency. If the entire comb/wattles turns purple this indicates a severe oxygen/cardiac issue and the bird could be near death.

If your rooster's comb does this in extreme cold weather be aware of possible frostbite and treat accordingly.

I think your guy is fine. He looks to be in good condition.

Steele does the same then when the weather is very hot and humid. He's normal in the morning but by the afternoon his comb has darkened areas. I make a point not to stress him during the hot hours. He seems fine, though, and maintains his alert demeanor. On the other hand, if you see this condition in a rooster who is acting lethargic this could indicate cardiac insufficiency. If the entire comb/wattles turns purple this indicates a severe oxygen/cardiac issue and the bird could be near death. If your rooster's comb does this in extreme cold weather be aware of possible frostbite and treat accordingly. I think your guy is fine. He looks to be in good condition.
Ok omg thankyou so much you have helped alot!!!!!

X 2 on what theoldchick said - nothing to worry about with your rooster. A deep purple coloring plus lethargy would indicate probable cardiac problems.

Back
Top Bottom