Bruised (possibly broken) toe

Kidsandpets

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
Ireland
I have a hybrid hen about 1 year old. My 2 year daughter closed the back door on her foot. (she was on her way in to steal the dogs food!) She squealed and then ran off. When I caught her, her middle toe was all bent to the side and was very hot. While I was feeling it, it sort of clicked back into place. It's not bent anymore but today after work I checked her and she was just sitting on the ground. She can move around but is limping. Her toe is very bruised around the middle of the toe. The tip is still pink, so there is blood flow through it. What should I give her to help with the pain? And what should I do with her toe? Splint it? Leave it? Any help appreciated.

I had a chick get her toenail pulled off by siblings. I just kept blood stop and antibotic cream on it, two days later it fell off. I dont know about adults.

You can give chickens aspirin for pain and inflammation. (I don't remember the dosage. Search the forum for "aspirin dosage".) Use the link in my signature to see how to make a splint for her. It is a site created by another BYC member and has great podiatry info.

Edited to add: I just checked and aspirin dosage is also on the site under podiatry.

Last edited:
Quote:
We should all thank Speckledhill for creating such a great site for us all. I know it helped me when I needed info.
wink.png

Good luck with your hen and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom