Bruised vent, lethargic, can't stand chicken.

Island pollo

Chirping
Apr 10, 2016
Three days ago my 3 year old Cinnamon Red "Chicken Nugget" would not come out of the coop. I noticed a clear fluid coming from her cloaca on the bedding. After further inspection I noticed her vent looked swollen and bruised. She wont stand and is lethargic and not eating very well.

I noticed what looked like yellow white fluid out of cloaca similar to a busted egg and checked her inside and did not feel any left over egg. I have let her soak in warm water, tended to her vent and cleaned that up. She is also getting apple cider and probiotics.
She is separated from the group and resting quietly between feedings and water. I started all this today.

Any other advice?????

Attachments

• IMG_6379.JPG
    IMG_6379.JPG
    537.3 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_6380.JPG
    IMG_6380.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6381.JPG
    IMG_6381.JPG
    564.6 KB · Views: 47
Oh my, that is not bruising, but a pretty severe pecking injury. In warm weather, flies may lay maggot larvae on an area like that, and cause fly strike which can be deadly.

I would start daily warm soaks in Epsom salts water, or another disinfectant such as betadine or hibiclens. Vetericyn Wound Spray is good to spray on the wound after she dries. Look for any evidence of maggots and remove them. Keep her isolated in a dog crate, with food and water, and she can be with the flock if there are no flies around.

Vent pecking can lead to cannibalism and death. It can be common in flocks where there is too little room, where they are not getting out to free range or when they are not getting fed a balanced chicken feed with enough protein. What do you feed? I would try a 20% all flock or flock raiser type food for awhile, but have a container of crushed oyster shell available for layers. Here is some reading about vent pecking for more info:
https://extension.psu.edu/poultry-cannibalism-prevention-and-treatment

You hen isn't bruised. That's necrotic tissue from severe injury. I agree with @Eggcessive you need to do some daily soaks, and if any of the dark skin becomes dry and flaky, you need to pull it off. A mildly abrasive wash cloth would help when soaking her. It's called debriding, and it's important when treating a serious wound.

I would use Vetericyn on it along with antibiotic ointment. If the hen is returned to the flock, Blu-kote should be used to disguise the wound to discourage pecking. You need to keep watch that the others don't keep pecking at the wound. A segregated area within the run during the dat would be something to consider in order to keep the hen in the flock while she heals.

How large are your coop and run and how many chickens?

Oh my, that is not bruising, but a pretty severe pecking injury. In warm weather, flies may lay maggot larvae on an area like that, and cause fly strike which can be deadly.

I would start daily warm soaks in Epsom salts water, or another disinfectant such as betadine or hibiclens. Vetericyn Wound Spray is good to spray on the wound after she dries. Look for any evidence of maggots and remove them. Keep her isolated in a dog crate, with food and water, and she can be with the flock if there are no flies around.
Okay, thank you so much. I have three chickens that have been together since birth. However one has become more aggressive with the others so that explains a a lot. I have cleaned it with Epsom salt and beta-dine and have her inside in a crate.

You hen isn't bruised. That's necrotic tissue from severe injury. I agree with @Eggcessive you need to do some daily soaks, and if any of the dark skin becomes dry and flaky, you need to pull it off. A mildly abrasive wash cloth would help when soaking her. It's called debriding, and it's important when treating a serious wound.

I would use Vetericyn on it along with antibiotic ointment. If the hen is returned to the flock, Blu-kote should be used to disguise the wound to discourage pecking. You need to keep watch that the others don't keep pecking at the wound. A segregated area within the run during the dat would be something to consider in order to keep the hen in the flock while she heals.

How large are your coop and run and how many chickens?
I only have three chickens, a silkie and two cinnamon reds, they have been together since birth. The run is pretty big and they free range every day and eat a well balanced crumble. However one chicken has become increasingly aggressive with Chicken Nugget and Pollo " my other two" nothing changed or happen to promote this aggression but that makes sense. Thank you for all your advice so far I have done everything ya'll have suggested.

Vent pecking can lead to cannibalism and death. It can be common in flocks where there is too little room, where they are not getting out to free range or when they are not getting fed a balanced chicken feed with enough protein. What do you feed? I would try a 20% all flock or flock raiser type food for awhile, but have a container of crushed oyster shell available for layers. Here is some reading about vent pecking for more info:
https://extension.psu.edu/poultry-cannibalism-prevention-and-treatment
Thank you for commenting. They free range everyday and eat a well balanced diet. however this makes sense because one of the three chickens I have has become aggressive recently.

If you posted pictures of your coop and run we might be able to make suggestions for strategies that might help.

What is the protein percentage of the feed they get?
(Is it a layer feed)
How much do they get in treats?
(Yes, even healthy treats)

If they get a typical 16% protein layer feed and treats which generally have 0% protein
You have to understand that the addition of them to their diet DILUTES (subtracts from) their total daily protein intake.

Not getting enough protein can trigger mean, or cannabilistic behavior.
(The “Hangry” factor)

Therefore, I would immediately switch to a higher protein feed and knock out almost all treats.

Last edited:
I would try keeping her inside the crate but in the coop, just so that she doesn’t fall lower in the pecking order. Sometimes removing the agressive hen for a week out of the flock can lower their rank. There is also a product called pinless peepers that some people use with an agressive pecker. I would try other recommendations first. I had 4 beautiful golden and silver laced wyandottes who became bullies, and I had to rehome them unfortunately. I like my hens to all “just get along.”

I would try keeping her inside the crate but in the coop, just so that she doesn’t fall lower in the pecking order. Sometimes removing the agressive hen for a week out of the flock can lower their rank. There is also a product called pinless peepers that some people use with an agressive pecker. I would try other recommendations first. I had 4 beautiful golden and silver laced wyandottes who became bullies, and I had to rehome them unfortunately. I like my hens to all “just get along.”
Okay, I have been keeping her inside because she won't stand or move around. her comb is purple colored and I feel as though she may be pretty sick from this. She still is not eating and drinking very much at all. Do you think I should still keep her in the coop? The chicken that is bullying may have to be removed like yours. I as well just like them to get along, I have never had a problem with chickens getting along or wanting love from me and my husband, however Cinnamon has never taken to us and oddly enough Chicken Nugget was her best friend in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom