Bruised vent, lethargic, can't stand chicken.

So an update is as of today she is eating and drinking way better than yesterday and her vent looks better already. The skin is not flaking yet, but it looks much better.

She still can't walk or stand, she will take like three steps and lay down. Her abdomen is swollen and squishy (soft to touch). Her comb dose not normally look like that it is usually bright red and upright. She keeps closing her eyes a lot. She has not layed an egg and she usually dose daily. Also she has not pooped today her bedding is clean.

I greatly appreciate all of your comments and wisdom you have shared. I am trying all of the things everyone is suggesting. For example I made her egg today and she gobbled it up.

That purple-tinged comb is what my sick hen had before she was euthanized. I was guessing she was having trouble getting oxygen to her extremities due to possibly "crowded" internal conditions. Little did I realize how on the money I was.

She does sound like a sick hen. She could have pretty much anything, but with the purple comb and full belly, she might have ascites (water belly) from heart failure. Not being able to stand or walk more than a couple of steps souncs like she is very weak. Since she has been laying eggs regularly, I don’t know about a reproductive problem. Cancer can be common as Azygous has just gone through with her recent loss.

She does sound like a sick hen. She could have pretty much anything, but with the purple comb and full belly, she might have ascites (water belly) from heart failure. Not being able to stand or walk more than a couple of steps souncs like she is very weak. Since she has been laying eggs regularly, I don’t know about a reproductive problem. Cancer can be common as Azygous has just gone through with her recent loss.

so this morning she was sprightly and awake looking at everyone. Her comb seems to be a bit better and she had actually moved in her box.

Thank you to everyone who shared their chicken words of wisdom!!! Chicken Nugget is so much better. Her comb is pretty much bright red again she is alert, eating well and visiting with her chicken friend in the afternoons for a bit while the bully is in the run.
Her necrotic tissue is starting to peel away, I am letting it happen naturally, her swollen belly has diminished some and she is getting soaks every other day now. Again thank you for taking the time to help a stranger.

That sounds like she might be improving. I would offer some cooked egg, watery feed, or some high protein treats in small amounts. Do you have any vitamin B complex, where you could give a crushed 1/4 tablet daily for some extra vitamins?
She has been getting cooked egg and she LOVES it, especially the yolk which is chalk full of vitamin B. Her daily meal is crumble in the crate at all time for her to graze, cooked eggs with oregano and orange for breakfast. For dinner she getting a blend of fruits and Greek yogurt with some tuna on the side. And everyday I give her fresh water with a touch of apple cider vinegar with mothers. She is getting so spoiled.

Back
Top Bottom