Brutality in mating season?

sammark

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 3, 2012
NEWCASTLE. ENGLAND
Hi
My Embden goose has just started laying feb, and the gander is keep trying to mate with her, what I'v noticed & am quite concerned about is the brutality he's showing he literally stands on her back and rips her feathers out sometimes not even while mating. A few times I've had to go in and get him off her he's ripping the feathers out of her wing the worst and I'm worried he will really hurt her. The funny thing is she just sits and takes it as if it's to be expected she isn't even trying to get away. Is this normal behaviour during the laying/ mating season? I have googled for info on this matter and nothing comes up. :(

Hi
My Embden goose has just started laying feb, and the gander is keep trying to mate with her, what I'v noticed & am quite concerned about is the brutality he's showing he literally stands on her back and rips her feathers out sometimes not even while mating. A few times I've had to go in and get him off her he's ripping the feathers out of her wing the worst and I'm worried he will really hurt her. The funny thing is she just sits and takes it as if it's to be expected she isn't even trying to get away. Is this normal behaviour during the laying/ mating season? I have googled for info on this matter and nothing comes up. :(
It is just some ganders are worse than others, I see my Embden gander standing on my Toulouse goose during and after mating, but so far he hasn't riped out feathers although I saw him grab some the other day when trying to balance. I'm not sure why they stand on their girls unless it's a form of dominace sure looks like it to me. And yes my goose just lays their and takes it too. although I did see her grab his neck feathers the other day. I'd say if he is ripping her feathers out you were wise in stopping him, maybe putting so Blue Kote or something simular would deter him from doing this. Hopefully others can weigh in and offer some advise, other wise keep watching so he doesn't hurt her. It's one thing to grab feathers to hold on but quite another to just rip them out.

I'm still new to geese, but this sounds pretty normal. The geese are so crazy for any attention that might result in a mate, it seems to me! I'll have a group of females gather round a gander mating with a goose, and they cheer them on, and sometimes even try to pile on for some action. Kind of over the top, these geese! If he's being too much, like drawing blood, maybe you can give her a separate area next to him so he can't really damage her. They could just get a visiting time when you can supervise? I know you'll get some good information from the more experienced people on this forum.

Thankyou all for your advice, if it gets too much I will seperate them, I honestly thought he wasn't even mating with her but he must be as I've just cracked 3 eggs in a bowl to make quiche and there all fertile. I have left some eggs in the nest and he is sitting like mad so at least when he's on the nest he isn't bullying her. :)))

My gander is pretty violent too, it really shook me the first time I saw them. In the pond is one thing but n land it seems like a lot of force. The ladies don't seem to mind, I guess they are exceptionally tough.

My 2 were on the ramp[it was laying flat] the other day when mating started, they both fell off and continued to mate it was pretty funny, they can look so clumsy.

They have me laughing everyday though I don't much find there mating rituals funny- brutal is the only word. They've upped there game to outsmart the chief egg thief,today when I let them out instead of coming for food/water one was frantically burying the eggs while the other blocked my view. Now they are taking turns sitting so the nest is never unattended, I find this absolutely hillarious so much so I might let them keep there eggs and try hatch naturally they seem to want goslings badly. I have 7 sebastopol eggs in the incubator upstairs the humidity is 45-50 does any of you guys know if it should be increased or is this ok?? :)

They have me laughing everyday though I don't much find there mating rituals funny- brutal is the only word. They've upped there game to outsmart the chief egg thief,today when I let them out instead of coming for food/water one was frantically burying the eggs while the other blocked my view. Now they are taking turns sitting so the nest is never unattended, I find this absolutely hillarious so much so I might let them keep there eggs and try hatch naturally they seem to want goslings badly. I have 7 sebastopol eggs in the incubator upstairs the humidity is 45-50 does any of you guys know if it should be increased or is this ok?? :)
Look up Petes guide to hatching, everyone raves about it on here. And how about some pics of the happy couple when you get a chance if you haven't already.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom